Income Redistribution and Public-Good Provision in a Diverse Society
I analyze the postelectoral coalition formation process in a two-dimensional political environment. The two dimensions are the degree of a proportional tax rate and the degree of a group-specific public good. Parties are office-motivated and care instrumentally about policy. I analyze when stable coalitions exist and obtain that for that to occur office benefits should exceed a certain level. I analyze how this critical level and the set of policies implemented are affected by the income levels and the degree of diversity. For both office- and policy-motivated parties the same result holds, but the critical level might be lower for the latter.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 167 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.mohr.de/jite|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Selim Ergun, 2010.
"From plurality rule to proportional representation,"
Economics of Governance,
Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 373-408, November.
- Selim Ergun, 2008. "From Plurality Rule to Proportional Representation," ThE Papers 08/07, Department of Economic Theory and Economic History of the University of Granada..
- Enriqueta Aragonès, 2007. "The key party in the Catalan government," Spanish Economic Review, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 249-271, December.
- Enriqueta Aragonès, 2006. "The Key Party in the Catalan Government," Working Papers 287, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Enriqueta Aragonés, 2007. "The Key Party in the Catalan Government," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 681.07, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Enriqueta Aragonès, 2007. "Government formation in a two dimensional policy space," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 35(2), pages 151-184, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mhr:jinste:urn:sici:0932-4569(201106)167:2_291:irappi_2.0.tx_2-6. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.