Boycotts, Power Politics, or Trust Building: How to Prevent Conflict?
In a game of imperfect information, the paper analyses whether different types of intervention by third parties can ensure that political (ethnic, religious, social, etc.) groups within a country will pursue a cooperative strategy and how easy it is to predict their effects. We conclude that a strong boycott is the only instrument that is always effective and that trust building, although currently widely acclaimed by, e.g., the United Nations, is not only less effective but difficult to predict and - like power politics - can favour one group at the expense of the other.
Volume (Year): 164 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.mohr.de/jite|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S. CLAEYS & G. LANINE & K. SCHOORs, 2005. "Bank Supervision Russian Style: Rules vs Enforcement and Tacit Objectives," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 05/307, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Arne Schollaert & Dirk Van de gaer, 2008.
"Boycotts, Power Politics, or Trust Building: How to Prevent Conflict?,"
Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE),
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 164(2), pages 356-379, June.
- SCHOLLAERT, Arne & VAN DE GAER, Dirk, "undated". "Boycotts, power politics, or trust building: How to prevent conflict?," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- A. Schollaert & D. Van De Gaer, 2005. "Boycotts, power politics or trust building: how to prevent conflict?," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 05/308, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- P. Everaert & G. Sarens, 2005. "Outsourcing bij Vlaamse Ondernemingen: een Exploratief Onderzoek," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 05/306, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mhr:jinste:urn:sici:0932-4569(200806)164:2_356:bppotb_2.0.tx_2-t. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.