Trade and Child Labor: A General Equilibrium Analysis
This paper augments the existing literature on trade and child labor by exploring the effects of terms-of-trade changes in the context of a three-good general equilibrium model, in which one of the goods is a nontraded good. We find that, under quasi-linear preferences, the effect of the terms of trade on child labor depends critically on the pattern of substitutability (or complementarity) in the excess demand functions between the export good and the nontraded good. We extend the analysis to the case in which factors move freely between the three goods, as in a Heckscher-Ohlin-type framework. Finally, we show that a balanced budget policy of taxing the education of skilled families to subsidize the education of unskilled families must reduce child labor without any effect on aggregate welfare.
Volume (Year): 45 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mesharpe.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=111024|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edmonds, Eric V. & Pavcnik, Nina, 2006.
"International trade and child labor: Cross-country evidence,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 115-140, January.
- Eric Edmonds & Nina Pavcnik, 2004. "International Trade and Child Labor: Cross-Country Evidence," NBER Working Papers 10317, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edmonds, Eric V & Pavcnik, Nina, 2004. "International Trade and Child Labour: Cross-Country Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 4309, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jafarey, Saqib & Lahiri, Sajal, 2002.
"Will trade sanctions reduce child labour?: The role of credit markets,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 137-156, June.
- Saqib Jafarey & Sajal Lahiri, 1999. "Will trade sanctions reduce child labour? The role of credit markets," Economics Discussion Papers 500, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Jean-Marie Baland & James A. Robinson, 2000. "Is Child Labor Inefficient?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(4), pages 663-679, August.
- Edmonds, Eric V. & Pavcnik, Nina, 2005. "The effect of trade liberalization on child labor," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 401-419, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mes:emfitr:v:45:y:2009:i:1:p:5-18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Nguyen)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Chris Nguyen to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.