Testing Ricardian Neutrality with an Intertemporal Stochastic Model
This paper's purpose is to develop and estimate a stochastic, intertemporal model of consumption be havior and to use it for testing a version of the Ricardian-equivalen ce proposition with time-series data. Two channels that may give rise to deviations from this proposition are specified: finite horizons a nd liquidity constraints. In addition, the model incorporates explici tly the roles of taxes, substitution between public and private consu mption, and different degrees of consumer goods' durability. The evid ence, based on data for Israel in the first half of the 1980s, suppor ts the Ricardian neutrality specification, yielding plausible estimat es for the behavioral parameters of the aggregate consumption functio n. Copyright 1988 by Ohio State University Press.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 20 (1988)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feldstein, Martin, 1982.
"Government deficits and aggregate demand,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-20.
- Barro, Robert J, 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1095-1117, Nov.-Dec..
- Hall, Robert E, 1978. "Stochastic Implications of the Life Cycle-Permanent Income Hypothesis: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 971-87, December.
- Fumio Hayashi, 1985. "Tests for Liquidity Constraints: A Critical Survey," NBER Working Papers 1720, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- R. Glenn Hubbard & Kenneth L. Judd, 1986. "Liquidity Constraints, Fiscal Policy, and Consumption," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 17(1), pages 1-60.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1985. "Fiscal Policy and Aggregate Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 117-27, March.
- Reid, Bradford G, 1985. "Aggregate Consumption and Deficit Financing: An Attempt to Separate Permanent from Transitory Effects," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 23(3), pages 475-86, July.
- James M. Poterba & Lawrence H. Summers, 1986. "Finite Lifetimes and the Crowding Out Effects of Budget Deficits," NBER Working Papers 1955, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1983. "Stochastic Consumption, Risk Aversion, and the Temporal Behavior of Asset Returns," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(2), pages 249-65, April.
- Jacob A. Frenkel & Assaf Razin, 1986. "Deficits with Distortionary Taxes: International Dimensions," NBER Working Papers 2080, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kormendi, Roger C, 1983. "Government Debt, Government Spending, and Private Sector Behavior," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(5), pages 994-1010, December.
- Helpman, Elhanan & Razin, Assaf, 1987.
"Exchange Rate Management: Intertemporal Tradeoffs,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 77(1), pages 107-23, March.
- Kochin, Levis A, 1974. "Are Future Taxes Anticipated by Consumers? Comment," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 6(3), pages 385-94, August.
- Walter Dolde & James Tobin, 1971. "Wealth, Liquidity, and Consumption," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 311, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Olivier J. Blanchard, 1984.
"Debt, Deficits and Finite Horizons,"
NBER Working Papers
1389, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frenkel, Jacob A & Razin, Assaf, 1986. "Fiscal Policies in the World Economy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages 564-94, June.
- Seater, John J, 1982. "Are Future Taxes Discounted?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 14(3), pages 376-89, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcb:jmoncb:v:20:y:1988:i:1:p:1-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.