The out-of-sample forecasting performance of non-linear models of real exchange rate behaviour: The case of the South African Rand
This paper analyses the out-of-sample forecasting performance of non-linear vs. linear models for the South African rand against the United States dollar and the British pound, in real terms. We compare the forecasting performance of point, interval and density forecasts for non-linear Band-TAR and ESTAR models to linear autoregressive models. Our data spans from 1970:01 to 2012:07, and we found that there are no significant gains from using either the Band-TAR or ESTAR non-linear models, compared to the linear AR model in terms of out-of-sample forecasting performance, especially at short horizons. We draw similar conclusions to other literature, and find that for the South African rand against the United States dollar and British pound, non-linearities are too weak for Band-TAR and ESTAR models to estimate.
Volume (Year): 10 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 (0)331-572 1
Fax: +39 (0)331-572 320
Web page: http://eaces.liuc.it/default.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Taylor, Mark P & Peel, David A & Sarno, Lucio, 2001.
"Nonlinear Mean-Reversion in Real Exchange Rates: Toward a Solution to the Purchasing Power Parity Puzzles,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(4), pages 1015-42, November.
- Peel, David & Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 2001. "Nonlinear Mean-Reversion in Real Exchange Rates: Towards a Solution to the Purchasing Power Parity Puzzles," CEPR Discussion Papers 2658, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maurice Obstfeld and Alan M. Taylor., 1997.
"Nonlinear Aspects of Goods-Market Arbitrage and Adjustment: Heckscher's Commodity Points Revisited,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers
C97-088, University of California at Berkeley.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Taylor, Alan M., 1997. "Nonlinear Aspects of Goods-Market Arbitrage and Adjustment: Heckscher's Commodity Points Revisited," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 441-479, December.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Taylor, Alan M., 1997. "Nonlinear Aspects of Goods-Market Arbitrage and Adjustment: Heckscher's Commodity Points Revisited," CEPR Discussion Papers 1672, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Alan M. Taylor, 1997. "Nonlinear Aspects of Goods-Market Arbitrage and Adjustment: Heckscher's Commodity Points Revisited," NBER Working Papers 6053, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 2002.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 134-44, January.
- Corradi, Valentina & Swanson, Norman R., 2006.
"Bootstrap conditional distribution tests in the presence of dynamic misspecification,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 779-806, August.
- Valentina Corradi & Norman R. Swanson, 2003. "Bootstrap Conditional Distribution Tests In the Presence of Dynamic Misspecification," Departmental Working Papers 200311, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Lumengo Bonga-Bonga, 2008.
"Modelling the Rand-Dollar Future Spot Rates: The Kalman Filter Approach,"
The African Finance Journal,
Africagrowth Institute, vol. 10(2), pages 60-75.
- Lumengo Bonga-Bonga, 2008. "Modeling the Rand-Dollar Future Spot Rates: The Kalman Filter Approach," Working Papers 98, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Francis X. Diebold & James M. Nason, 1989.
"Nonparametric exchange rate prediction?,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
81, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Harvey, David & Leybourne, Stephen & Newbold, Paul, 1997. "Testing the equality of prediction mean squared errors," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 281-291, June.
- Siliverstovs, B. & van Dijk, D.J.C., 2003. "Forecasting industrial production with linear, nonlinear, and structural change models," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2003-16, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Rangan Gupta & Alain Kabundi, 2010.
"Forecasting macroeconomic variables in a small open economy: a comparison between small- and large-scale models,"
Journal of Forecasting,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(1-2), pages 168-185.
- Rangan Gupta & Alain Kabundi, 2008. "Forecasting Macroeconomic Variables in a Small Open Economy: A Comparison between Small- and Large-Scale Models," Working Papers 200830, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Sami Alpanda & Kevin Kotzé & Geoffrey Woglom, 2011. "Forecasting Performance Of An Estimated Dsge Model For The South African Economy," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 79(1), pages 50-67, 03.
- Hendrik Kaufmann & Florian Heinen & Philipp Sibbertsen, 2014.
"The Dynamics Of Real Exchange Rates: A Reconsideration,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(5), pages 758-773, 08.
- Heinen, Florian & Kaufmann, Hendrik & Sibbertsen, Philipp, 2011. "The dynamics of real exchange rates - A reconsideration," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-463, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Mtonga, Elvis, 2006. "The real exchange rate of the rand and competitiveness of South Africa's trade," MPRA Paper 1192, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lumengo Bonga-Bonga, 2009. "Forward Exchange Rate Puzzle: Joining the Missing Pieces in the Rand-US Dollar Exchange Market," Working Papers 122, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Riane de Bruyn & Rangan Gupta & Renee van Eyden, 2013. "Forecasting The Rand-Dollar And Rand-Pound Exchange Rates Using Dynamic Model Averaging," Working Papers 201307, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Christoffersen, Peter F, 1998. "Evaluating Interval Forecasts," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 841-62, November.
- Michael, Panos & Nobay, A Robert & Peel, David A, 1997.
"Transactions Costs and Nonlinear Adjustment in Real Exchange Rates: An Empirical Investigation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(4), pages 862-79, August.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Michael-Nobay-Peel ESTAR models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00113, Boston College Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:liu:liucej:v:10:y:2013:i:1:p:121-148. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Piero Cavaleri)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.