On the Robustness of the High-Quality Advantage under Vertical Differentiation
The idea that the high-quality provider in a vertically differentiated duopoly earns the higher profit (the so-called “high-quality advantage”) appears to be an established fact among economists. This note shows that the high-quality advantage is not a robust feature of vertical differentiation models. A low-quality advantage can be predicted under perfectly plausible assumptions, such as a concave utility–quality and/or a convex unit cost–quality relation. The existence of a high- or a low-quality advantage depends on the nature of the firms’ strategic interaction. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, LLC 2006
Volume (Year): 6 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=105724|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1989.
"Quality Ledders In The Theory Of Growth,"
148, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Wauthy, Xavier, 1996.
"Quality Choice in Models of Vertical Differentiation,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 345-53, September.
- Wauthy, X., 1994. "Quality Choice in Models of Vertical Differentiation," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1994033, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Crampes, C. & Hollander, A., 1991.
"Duopoly and Quality Standards,"
Cahiers de recherche
9128, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Reiko Aoki, 2003. "Effect of credible quality investment with Bertrand and Cournot competition," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 653-672, 03.
- Choi, Chong Ju & Shin, Hyun Song, 1992. "A Comment on a Model of Vertical Product Differentiation," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 229-31, June.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1991. "Quality Ladders in the Theory of Growth," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(1), pages 43-61.
- Avner Shaked & John Sutton, 1982. "Relaxing Price Competition Through Product Differentiation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(1), pages 3-13.
- Champsaur, Paul & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1989.
Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 533-57, May.
- Heidrun C. Hoppe & Ulrich Lehmann-Grube, 2001. "Second-Mover Advantages in Dynamic Quality Competition," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(3), pages 419-433, 09.
- Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John, 1983. "Natural Oligopolies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(5), pages 1469-83, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jincot:v:6:y:2006:i:3:p:183-193. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.