Mutual fund performance: false discoveries, bias, and power
No abstract is available for this item.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joseph P. Romano & Michael Wolf, 2003.
"Stepwise Multiple Testing as Formalized Data Snooping,"
17, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Joseph P. Romano & Michael Wolf, 2005. "Stepwise Multiple Testing as Formalized Data Snooping," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(4), pages 1237-1282, 07.
- Joseph P. Romano & Michael Wolf, 2003. "Stepwise multiple testing as formalized data snooping," Economics Working Papers 712, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Yoav Benjamini & Abba M. Krieger & Daniel Yekutieli, 2006. "Adaptive linear step-up procedures that control the false discovery rate," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 93(3), pages 491-507, September.
- Carhart, Mark M, 1997. " On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 57-82, March.
- John D. Storey, 2002. "A direct approach to false discovery rates," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 64(3), pages 479-498.
- Laurent BARRAS & Olivier SCAILLET & Russ WERMERS, 2005.
"False Discoveries in Mutual Fund Performance: Measuring Luck in Estimated Alphas,"
FAME Research Paper Series
rp163, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Laurent Barras & Olivier Scaillet & Russ Wermers, 2010. "False Discoveries in Mutual Fund Performance: Measuring Luck in Estimated Alphas," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 65(1), pages 179-216, 02.
- Barras, Laurent & Scaillet, Olivier & Wermers, Russ, 2009. "False discoveries in mutual fund performance: Measuring luck in estimated alphas," CFR Working Papers 06-02, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Laurent BARRAS & Olivier SCAILLET & Russ WERMERS, 2005. "False Discoveries in Mutual Fund Performance: Measuring Luck in Estimated Alphas," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 08-18, Swiss Finance Institute, revised Sep 2008.
- Olivier Scaillet & Laurent Barras & Russell R. Wermers, 2005. "False Discoveries in Mutual Fund Performance: Measuring Luck in Estimated Alphas," Working Papers CEB 05-014.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Chen, Hsiu-Lang & Jegadeesh, Narasimhan & Wermers, Russ, 2000. "The Value of Active Mutual Fund Management: An Examination of the Stockholdings and Trades of Fund Managers," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(03), pages 343-368, September.
- Christopher S. Jones & Jay Shanken, 2002.
"Mutual Fund Performance with Learning Across Funds,"
NBER Working Papers
9392, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jones, Christopher S. & Shanken, Jay, 2005. "Mutual fund performance with learning across funds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(3), pages 507-552, December.
- Efron, Bradley, 2007. "Correlation and Large-Scale Simultaneous Significance Testing," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 93-103, March.
- Efron B. & Tibshirani R. & Storey J.D. & Tusher V., 2001. "Empirical Bayes Analysis of a Microarray Experiment," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 1151-1160, December.
- Bradford Cornell & Jakša Cvitanić & Levon Goukasian, 2010. "Beliefs regarding fundamental value and optimal investing," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 83-105, January.
- Joseph P. Romano & Azeem M. Shaikh & Michael Wolf, 2008.
"Control of the False Discovery Rate under Dependence using the Bootstrap and Subsampling,"
IEW - Working Papers
337, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Joseph Romano & Azeem Shaikh & Michael Wolf, 2008. "Control of the false discovery rate under dependence using the bootstrap and subsampling," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 417-442, November.
- Romano, Joseph P. & Shaikh, Azeem M. & Wolf, Michael, 2008.
"Formalized Data Snooping Based On Generalized Error Rates,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(02), pages 404-447, April.
- Joseph P & Romano & Azeem M. Shaikh & Michael Wolf, 2005. "Formalized Data Snooping Based on Generalized Error Rates," IEW - Working Papers 259, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:7:y:2008:i:10:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Matthew Spiegel & Harry Mamaysky & Hong Zhang, 2005.
"Improved Forecasting of Mutual Fund Alphas and Betas,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
amz2361, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Mar 2006.
- Harry Mamaysky & Matthew Spiegel & Hong Zhang, 2007. "Improved Forecasting of Mutual Fund Alphas and Betas," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 11(3), pages 359-400.
- Fan, Jianqing & Fan, Yingying & Lv, Jinchi, 2008. "High dimensional covariance matrix estimation using a factor model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 186-197, November.
- Manuel Ammann & Michael Verhofen, 2009. "The impact of prior performance on the risk-taking of mutual fund managers," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 69-90, January.
- John D. Storey & Jonathan E. Taylor & David Siegmund, 2004. "Strong control, conservative point estimation and simultaneous conservative consistency of false discovery rates: a unified approach," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 66(1), pages 187-205.
- Halbert White, 2000. "A Reality Check for Data Snooping," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(5), pages 1097-1126, September.
- Jorge Sainz & Pilar Grau & Luis Miguel Doncel & Javier Otamendi, 2008. "An evaluation on the true statistical relevance of Jensen's alpha trough simulation: An application for Germany," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 7(10), pages 1-9.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:annfin:v:7:y:2011:i:2:p:137-169. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.