Corporate Restructuring Involving Real Estate Assets: Some Earnings and Risk Signal Implications
Changes in common stockholder wealth when companies announce purchases and sales of real estate assets may result from changing investor perceptions about the risk, timing and/or amount of future cash flows. The evidence suggests that neither sellers nor buyers experience changes in firm risk for these transactions. However, sellers experience positive cash flow changes in the announcement year while buyers experience positive cash flow changes in the following year. Finally, for one-time purchasers, our study provides evidence that the lower the earnings performance compared with expectations in the announcement year, the greater the prediction errors.
Volume (Year): 8 (1993)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dann, Larry Y. & Masulis, Ronald W. & Mayers, David, 1991. "Repurchase tender offers and earnings information," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 217-251, September.
- Hays, Patrick A. & Upton, David E., 1986. "A Shifting Regimes Approach to the Stationarity of the Market Model Parameters of Individual Securities," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(03), pages 307-321, September.
- John L. Glascock & Wallace N. Davidson & C. F. Sirmans, 1991. "The Gains from Corporate Selloffs: The Case of Real Estate Assets," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(4), pages 567-582.
- Ball, Ray & Watts, Ross, 1972. "Some Time Series Properties of Accounting Income," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 27(3), pages 663-81, June.
- Brooks, LeRoy D & Buckmaster, Dale A, 1976. "Further Evidence on the Time Series Properties of Accounting Income," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(5), pages 1359-73, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:8:n:4:1993:p:579-596. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.