Real Estate Portfolio Management Practices of Pension Funds and Insurance Companies in the Netherlands: A Survey
Pension funds and insurance companies in the Netherlands allocate, on average, over 15% to equity real estate. This suggests that they hold different beliefs and/or apply different decision rules than their U.S. counterparts, who typically have allocated only about 4% of their wealth to real estate. A personal survey was conducted to test whether the findings of similar (mail) surveys on U.S. real estate portfolio management practices also hold for Dutch institutions. Unlike the Americans, for example, the Dutch are found to not systematically adjust for risk and to invest in real estate because of its inflation-hedging capacities.
Volume (Year): 11 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Hartzell & John S. Hekman & Mike E. Miles, 1987. "Real Estate Returns and Inflation," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 15(1), pages 617-637.
- K. C. Chan & Patric H. Hendershott & Anthony B. Sanders, 1990.
"Risk and Return on Real Estate: Evidence from Equity REITs,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 18(4), pages 431-452.
- K.C. Chan & Patric H. Hendershott & Anthony B. Sanders, 1990. "Risk and Return on Real Estate: Evidence from Equity REITs," NBER Working Papers 3311, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Geltner, 1993. "Temporal Aggregation in Real Estate Return Indices," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 21(2), pages 141-166.
- James R. Webb, 1984. "Real Estate Investment Acquisition Rules for Life Insurance Companies and Pension Funds: A Survey," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 12(4), pages 495-520.
- Marc A. Louargand, 1992. "A Survey of Pension Fund Real Estate Portfolio Risk Management Practices," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 7(4), pages 361-374.
- W. Jan Brzeski & Austin J. Jaffe & Stellan Lundstrom, 1993. "Institutional Real Estate Investment Practices: Swedish and United States Experiences," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(3), pages 293-324.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:11:n:2:1996:p:131-148. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.