Real Estate Portfolio Management Practices of Pension Funds and Insurance Companies in the Netherlands: A Survey
Pension funds and insurance companies in the Netherlands allocate, on average, over 15% to equity real estate. This suggests that they hold different beliefs and/or apply different decision rules than their U.S. counterparts, who typically have allocated only about 4% of their wealth to real estate. A personal survey was conducted to test whether the findings of similar (mail) surveys on U.S. real estate portfolio management practices also hold for Dutch institutions. Unlike the Americans, for example, the Dutch are found to not systematically adjust for risk and to invest in real estate because of its inflation-hedging capacities.
Volume (Year): 11 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Geltner, 1993. "Temporal Aggregation in Real Estate Return Indices," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 21(2), pages 141-166.
- James R. Webb, 1984. "Real Estate Investment Acquisition Rules for Life Insurance Companies and Pension Funds: A Survey," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 12(4), pages 495-520.
- K. C. Chan & Patric H. Hendershott & Anthony B. Sanders, 1990.
"Risk and Return on Real Estate: Evidence from Equity REITs,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 18(4), pages 431-452.
- K.C. Chan & Patric H. Hendershott & Anthony B. Sanders, 1990. "Risk and Return on Real Estate: Evidence from Equity REITs," NBER Working Papers 3311, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Hartzell & John S. Hekman & Mike E. Miles, 1987. "Real Estate Returns and Inflation," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 15(1), pages 617-637.
- Marc A. Louargand, 1992. "A Survey of Pension Fund Real Estate Portfolio Risk Management Practices," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 7(4), pages 361-374.
- W. Jan Brzeski & Austin J. Jaffe & Stellan Lundstrom, 1993. "Institutional Real Estate Investment Practices: Swedish and United States Experiences," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(3), pages 293-324.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:11:n:2:1996:p:131-148. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.