Bankruptcy prediction using a discrete-time duration model incorporating temporal and macroeconomic dependencies
The purpose of this paper is to build an alternative method of bankruptcy prediction that accounts for some deficiencies in previous approaches that resulted in poor out-of-sample performances. Most of the traditional approaches suffer from restrictive presumptions and structural limitations and fail to reflect the panel properties of financial statements and|or the common macroeconomic influence. Extending the work of Shumway (2001), we present a duration model with time-varying covariates and a baseline hazard function incorporating macroeconomic dependencies. Using the proposed model, we investigate how the hazard rates of listed companies in the Korea Stock Exchange (KSE) are affected by changes in the macroeconomic environment and by time-varying covariate vectors that show unique financial characteristics of each company. We also investigate out-of-sample forecasting performances of the suggested model and demonstrate improvements produced by allowing temporal and macroeconomic dependencies. Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 27 (2008)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/2966|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giesecke, Kay, 2001. "Correlated default with incomplete information," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2002,30, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Edward I. Altman, 1968. "Financial Ratios, Discriminant Analysis And The Prediction Of Corporate Bankruptcy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(4), pages 589-609, 09.
- Dimitras, A. I. & Zanakis, S. H. & Zopounidis, C., 1996. "A survey of business failures with an emphasis on prediction methods and industrial applications," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 487-513, May.
- repec:bla:joares:v:18:y:1980:i:1:p:109-131 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:bla:joares:v:22:y:1984:i::p:59-82 is not listed on IDEAS
- Luoma, M & Laitinen, EK, 1991. "Survival analysis as a tool for company failure prediction," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 673-678.
- Shumway, Tyler, 2001. "Forecasting Bankruptcy More Accurately: A Simple Hazard Model," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74(1), pages 101-124, January.