Auswirkungen von Erbschaften und Schenkungen auf die Vermögensbildung privater Personen und Haushalte / The Importance of Intergenerational Transfers for Private Wealth Accumulation: Eine empirische Analyse auf der Basis des Sozio-oekonomischen Panels / An Empirical Analysis of German Survey Data
We analyse the saving behaviour of German individuals and households between the ages of 30 and 50 with respect to inheritances and transfers inter vivos, based on recent data from the German Socio-economic Panel. In cross-section regression analysis current wealth holdings are explained by past life-cycle income and transfers received. The approach accounts for the problem of possible time lags in the adaptation of consumption to unexpected intergenerational transfers. Differences in the propensities to save with respect to highly liquid and less liquid wealth categories are taken into consideration as well.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 225 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jbnst|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael D. Hurd & James P. Smith, 2001.
"Anticipated and Actual Bequests,"
NBER Chapters,in: Themes in the Economics of Aging, pages 357-392
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael D. Hurd & James P. Smith, 1999. "Anticipated and Actual Bequests," NBER Working Papers 7380, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davies, James B. & Shorrocks, Anthony F., 2000. "The distribution of wealth," Handbook of Income Distribution,in: A.B. Atkinson & F. Bourguignon (ed.), Handbook of Income Distribution, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 11, pages 605-675 Elsevier.
- Modigliani, Franco, 1988. "The Role of Intergenerational Transfers and Life Cycle Saving in the Accumulation of Wealth," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 2(2), pages 15-40, Spring.
- Kotlikoff, Laurence J & Summers, Lawrence H, 1981. "The Role of Intergenerational Transfers in Aggregate Capital Accumulation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(4), pages 706-732, August.
- Laurence J. Kotlikoff & Lawrence H. Summers, 1980. "The Role of Intergenerational Transfers in Aggregate Capital Accumulation," NBER Working Papers 0445, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jurges, Hendrik, 2001. " Do Germans Save to Leave an Estate? An Examination of the Bequest Motive," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 103(3), pages 391-414, September.
- Westerheide, Peter, 2004. "Auswirkungen von Erbschaften und Schenkungen auf die Vermögensbildung privater Personen und Haushalte: Eine ökonometrische Analyse auf der Basis des Sozio-oekonomischen Panels," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-28, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-838, May.
- Kessler, Denis & Masson, Andre, 1989. "Bequest and Wealth Accumulation: Are Some Pieces of the Puzzle Missing?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 3(3), pages 141-152, Summer.
- Kotlikoff, Laurence J, 1988. "Intergenerational Transfers and Savings," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 2(2), pages 41-58, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jns:jbstat:v:225:y:2005:i:4:p:459-481. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.