The Effects of Coefficient Correlation Structure in Two-Dimensional Knapsack Problems on Solution Procedure Performance
This paper presents the results of an empirical study of the effects of coefficient correlation structure and constraint slackness settings on the performance of solution procedures on synthetic two-dimensional knapsack problems (2KP). The population correlation structure among 2KP coefficients, the level of constraint slackness, and the type of correlation (product moment or rank) are varied in this study. Representative branch-and-bound and heuristic solution procedures are used to investigate the influence of these problem parameters on solution procedure performance. Population correlation structure, and in particular the interconstraint component of the correlation structure, is found to be a significant factor influencing the performance of both the algorithm and the heuristic. In addition, the interaction between constraint slackness and population correlation structure is found to influence solution procedure performance.
Volume (Year): 46 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frieze, A. M. & Clarke, M. R. B., 1984. "Approximation algorithms for the m-dimensional 0-1 knapsack problem: Worst-case and probabilistic analyses," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 100-109, January.
- Yoshiaki Toyoda, 1975. "A Simplified Algorithm for Obtaining Approximate Solutions to Zero-One Programming Problems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(12), pages 1417-1427, August.
- Stelios H. Zanakis, 1977. "Heuristic 0-1 Linear Programming: An Experimental Comparison of Three Methods," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(1), pages 91-104, September.
- Mohammad M. Amini & Michael Racer, 1994. "A Rigorous Computational Comparison of Alternative Solution Methods for the Generalized Assignment Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(7), pages 868-890, July.
- C. N. Potts & L. N. Van Wassenhove, 1988. "Algorithms for Scheduling a Single Machine to Minimize the Weighted Number of Late Jobs," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(7), pages 843-858, July.
- Egon Balas & Clarence H. Martin, 1980. "Pivot and Complement--A Heuristic for 0-1 Programming," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(1), pages 86-96, January.
- Freville, Arnaud & Plateau, Gerard, 1993. "An exact search for the solution of the surrogate dual of the 0-1 bidimensional knapsack problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 413-421, August.
- Lokketangen, Arne & Glover, Fred, 1998. "Solving zero-one mixed integer programming problems using tabu search," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 106(2-3), pages 624-658, April.
- Marshall L. Fisher & R. Jaikumar & Luk N. Van Wassenhove, 1986. "A Multiplier Adjustment Method for the Generalized Assignment Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(9), pages 1095-1103, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:46:y:2000:i:2:p:302-317. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.