The X-Efficiency Of The Sudanese Islamic Banks
Important changes have taken place in the Sudanese banking industry since 1989. The transformation of the banking industry to conform to the Islamic principles has put the spotlight on the performance of the Islamic banks in Sudan. This study investigates the X-efficiency (technical and allocative) of these banks. The study used the basic Stochastic Frontier Approach (SFA). This is accomplished by decomposing the error term into two components, namely random noise (vi) and possible inefficiency (ui). The empirical results tend to suggest that banks in the sample had low levels of X-efficiency. This implied that the Sudanese Islamic banks were not optimizing their inputs usage. However, the results also showed that the inefficiency in the Sudanese Islamic banks could be more associated with inputs wasting (technical inefficiency) rather than choosing the incorrect input combinations (allocative inefficiency). The study has several important policy implications to offer, one of which is that it could be taken as a guideline for the Sudanese government to chart a policy on banking deregulation and mergers. Moreover, the study provides some information and identifies the source of X-inefficiency, which could, in turn, be used to assist banks’ managements to overcome the problems of inefficiency.
Volume (Year): 11 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Jalan Gombak, 53100 Kuala Lumpur|
Phone: (603) 6196 4770
Fax: (603) 6196 4850
Web page: http://www.iium.edu.my/enmjournal/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- English, M. & Grosskopf, S. & Hayes, K. & Yaisawarng, S., 1993. "Output allocative and technical efficiency of banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 349-366, April.
- Clark, Jeffrey A, 1996. "Economic Cost, Scale Efficiency, and Competitive Viability in Banking," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(3), pages 342-64, August.
- SIMAR,Â LÃ©opold, .
"Estimating efficiencies from frontier models with panel data: a comparison of parametric, non-parametric and semi-parametric metods with bootstrapping,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
995, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Simar, L., 1991. "Estimating efficiencies from frontier models with panel data: a comparison of parametric, non-parametric and semi-parametric methods with boot strapping," CORE Discussion Papers 1991026, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Abd elrhman Elzahi Saaid,Saiful Azhar Rosly,Mansor H. Ibrahim,and Naziruddin Abdullah, 2003. "The X-Efficiency Of The Sudanese Islamic Banks," IIUM Journal of Economics and Management, IIUM Journal of Economis and Management, vol. 11(2), pages 123-141, December.
- Kaparakis, Emmanuel I & Miller, Stephen M & Noulas, Athanasios G, 1994. "Short-Run Cost Inefficiency of Commercial Banks: A Flexible Stochastic Frontier Approach," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(4), pages 875-93, November.
- Esho, Neil, 2001. "The determinants of cost efficiency in cooperative financial institutions: Australian evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 941-964, May.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1993. "Can megamergers improve bank efficiency?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 423-436, April.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Jagtiani, Julapa & Khanthavit, Anya, 1996. "Scale and scope economies at large banks: Including off-balance sheet products and regulatory effects (1984-1991)," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(7), pages 1271-1287, August.
- Franklin R. Edwards & Arnold A. Heggestad, 1973. "Uncertainty, Market Structure, and Performance: The Galbraith-Caves Hypothesis and Managerial Motives in Banking," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 87(3), pages 455-473.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ije:journl:v:11:y:2003:i:2:p:123=-141. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gairuzazmi Mat Ghani)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.