Redistribution and progressivity of taxes on inheritances and donations and analysis with data of panel
Nowadays, there is an interesting discussion about the utility of keeping the taxes on heritage in modern fiscal systems. Nevertheless this controversy has not been properly reflected yet in the acedemic research and there is not enough investigation into the reasons that justify their existence and their real situation in our tax system. The aim of this investigation is to quantify the main support of this tax: its contribution to wealth distribution. Apart from the metodology explained, we make an estimation based on the real data of tax-payers as well as the theoretical progressiv its of the tax´s design on the overall redistributive impact, separating the deferent tax elements and between groups of family relationship.
Volume (Year): 177 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avda. Cardenal Herrera Oria, 378, 28035 Madrid|
Web page: http://www.ief.es
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hu, Sheng Cheng, 1989. "Uncertain lifetime, the annuity market, and estate taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 217-235, November.
- Barro, Robert J, 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1095-1117, Nov.-Dec..
- Poterba, James, 2001. "Estate and gift taxes and incentives for inter vivos giving in the US," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 237-264, January.
- Ihori, Toshihiro, 2001. "Wealth taxation and economic growth," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 129-148, January.
- Arrondel, L. & Masson, A., 1999.
"Family Transfers Involving Three Generations,"
DELTA Working Papers
1999-16, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Zilcha, Itzhak, 2003. "Intergenerational transfers, production and income distribution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(3-4), pages 489-513, March.
- Arrondel, Luc & Laferrere, Anne, 2001.
"Taxation and wealth transmission in France,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 3-33, January.
- Laitner, J. & Ohlsson, H., 1998.
"Bequest Motives: a Comparison of Sweden and the United States,"
1998:16, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Laitner, John & Ohlsson, Henry, 2001. "Bequest motives: a comparison of Sweden and the United States," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 205-236, January.
- Laitner, John & Ohlsson, Henry, 1998. "Bequest Motives: A Comparison of Sweden and the United States," Working Paper Series 1998:16, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- David Joulfaian, 2000.
"Estate Taxes and Charitable Bequests by the Wealthy,"
NBER Working Papers
7663, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joulfaian, David, 2000. "Estate Taxes and Charitable Bequests by the Wealthy," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 53(n. 3), pages 743-64, September.
- McGarry, Kathleen, 1999.
"Inter vivos transfers and intended bequests,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 321-351, September.
- Auten, Gerald & Joulfaian, David, 1996. "Charitable contributions and intergenerational transfers," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 55-68, January.
- Kakwani, Nanok C, 1977. "Measurement of Tax Progressivity: An International Comparison," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 87(345), pages 71-80, March.
- William G. Gale & John Karl Scholz, 1991.
"Intergenerational Transfers and the Accumulation of Wealth,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
624, UCLA Department of Economics.
- William G. Gale & John Karl Scholz, 1994. "Intergenerational Transfers and the Accumulation of Wealth," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(4), pages 145-160, Fall.
- W. G. Gale & J. K. Scholz, . "Intergenerational transfers and the accumulation of wealth," Institute for Research on Poverty Discussion Papers 1019-93, University of Wisconsin Institute for Research on Poverty.
- Juan Manuel Castañer Carrasco & Jorge Onrubia Fernández & Raquel Paredes Gómez, 2001. "Efectos Distributivos Y Sobre El Bienestar Social De La Reforma Del Irpf," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 159(4), December.
- Joel Slemrod & Wojciech Kopczuk, 2000. "The Impact of the Estate Tax on the Wealth Accumulation and Avoidance Behavior of Donors," NBER Working Papers 7960, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hpe:journl:y:2006:v:177:i:2:p:25-55. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Belén Miquel Burgos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.