Relevância informativa das Despesas de Investigação e Desenvolvimento: um estudo para o caso português
This study tests the value relevance of R&D expenses for the Portuguese context. The methodology adopted is based on econometric models, and takes into consideration the kind of information companies display and the adoption of IASB accounting standards in 2005. The empirical evidence suggests that investors value positively R&D information, most especially when it is quantitative and relates to the capitalisation of such expenses. Their value relevance is less obvious when the information is qualitative, and vanishes completely when both types of information are considered simultaneously in the models. The change in the accounting environment in 2005 seems to affect the empirical evidence. It suggests that a higher restrictiveness of IASB standards on concerning the capitalization of R&D justifies the increase in the value relevance of the expenses capitalized in 2005 and afterwards.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 31 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Dias da Silva, 165, 3004-512 COIMBRA|
Phone: + 351 239 790 500
Fax: + 351 239 40 35 11
Web page: http://impactum-journals.uc.pt/index.php/notaseconomicas
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hirschey, Mark, 1982. "Intangible Capital Aspects of Advertising and R&D Expenditures," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(4), pages 375-390, June.
- Brown, Stephen & Lo, Kin & Lys, Thomas, 1999. "Use of R2 in accounting research: measuring changes in value relevance over the last four decades," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 83-115, December.
- Baruch Lev & Theodore Sougiannis, 1999. "Penetrating the Book-to-Market Black Box: The R&D Effect," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(3-4), pages 419-449.
- Core, John E. & Guay, Wayne R. & Buskirk, Andrew Van, 2003. "Market valuations in the New Economy: an investigation of what has changed," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-3), pages 43-67, January.
- Louis K. C. Chan, 2001. "The Stock Market Valuation of Research and Development Expenditures," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(6), pages 2431-2456, December.
- repec:bla:joares:v:37:y:1999:i:2:p:319-352 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:bla:joares:v:36:y:1998:i::p:161-191 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hirschey, Mark & Richardson, Vernon J & Scholz, Susan, 2001. "Value Relevance of Nonfinancial Information: The Case of Patent Data," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 223-235, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gmf:journl:y:2010:i:31:p:06-23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Seiça)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.