Investment Incentives in Closely Held Corporations and Finland's 2005 Tax Reform
This paper analyses the effects of the recent Finnish income tax reform on the behaviour of a closely held corporation (CHC) and its owners. The main elements of the reform are cuts in corporate and capital income tax rates and the replacement of the full imputation system by a partial double taxation of distributed profits. Considerable exemptions are applied to relieve the taxation of dividends from CHCs. The analysis indicates that the change in the CHC’s cost of capital depends on the marginal tax rate (MTR) of the owner. In the case of a high-MTR entrepreneur, the cost of capital increases or is retained at the present level while at lower MTRs the cost of capital may well decrease. The latter observation is due to the increase in the tax rate gap between earned income and capital income. Thus the reform does not remove the earlier reported non-neutralities of the Finnish tax system. The reform also improves the position of wage income as a form of compensation. This will cushion the effect of the dividend tax changes on the CHC’s cost of capital.
Volume (Year): 19 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (Autumn)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.taloustieteellinenyhdistys.fi|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Seppo Kari, 1999. "Dynamic Behaviour of the Firm Under Dual Income Taxation," Research Reports 51, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Bond, Stephen R. & Devereux, Michael P., 2003.
"Generalised R-based and S-based taxes under uncertainty,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(5-6), pages 1291-1311, May.
- Steve Bond & Michael Devereux, 1999. "Generalised R-based and S-based taxes under uncertainty," IFS Working Papers W99/09, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Paolo M. Panteghini, 2001. "Dual income taxation : the choice of the imputed rate of return," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 14(1), pages 5-13, Spring.
- Seppo Kari & Vesa Kanniainen & Jouko Ylä-Liedenpohja, 2007.
"Nordic Dual Income Taxation of Entrepreneurs,"
415, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Fane, G., 1987. "Neutral taxation under uncertainty," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 95-105, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fep:journl:v:19:y:2006:i:2:p:41-47. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.