Globalization and Inequality in Different Economic Blocks
Now many scholars debate the different impacts of globalization on the economic behaviors of all nations, that globalization reduces or increases poverty, raises or drops wages and labor standards in societies and so on. Accordingly, we make in particular a question whether globalization affects income inequality in countries worldwide. The objective of this paper is thus to evaluate the effect of globalization on inequality among nations. We specify a panel income distribution regression model using cross-sectional data of the selected countries (including Iran) and relevant time series over 1985-2004. Several specified for globalization have significant and different effects on income distribution of countries with different levels of income. In our augmented model specification, we also evaluate an interacted effect of a block implementation (e.g. emerging market economies, high income, middle income and low income countries) with globalization on inequality. The results confirm this effect significantly on income inequality.
Volume (Year): 14 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (fall)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://economics.ut.ac.ir/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feenstra, Robert C. & Hanson, Gordon H., 1997.
"Foreign direct investment and relative wages: Evidence from Mexico's maquiladoras,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3-4), pages 371-393, May.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1995. "Foreign Direct Investment and Relative Wages: Evidence from Mexico's Maquiladoras," NBER Working Papers 5122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- François Bourguignon & Christian Morrisson, 2002.
"Inequality Among World Citizens: 1820-1992,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 92(4), pages 727-744, September.
- Figini, Paolo & Görg, Holger, 1999.
"Multinational companies and wage inequality in the host country: the case of Ireland,"
Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy
2344, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Paolo Figini & Holger Görg, 1999. "Multinational companies and wage inequality in the host country: The case of Ireland," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(4), pages 594-612, December.
- Paolo Figini & Holger Görg, 1998. "Multinational Companies and Wage Inequality in the Host Country: The Case of Ireland," Economics Technical Papers 9816, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eut:journl:v:14:y:2009:i:2:p:135. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ([z.rahimalipour])
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.