Frequency-based transit assignment considering seat capacities
This paper proposes a frequency-based assignment model that considers travellers probability of finding a seat in their perception of route cost and hence also their route choice. The model introduces a "fail-to-sit" probability at boarding points with travel costs based on the likelihood of travelling seated or standing. Priority rules are considered; in particular it is assumed that standing on-board passengers will occupy any available seats of alighting passengers before newly boarding passengers can fill any remaining seats. At the boarding point passengers are assumed to mingle, meaning that FIFO is not observed, as is the case for many crowded bus and metro stops, particularly in European countries. The route choice considers the common lines problem and an user equilibrium solution is sought through a Markov type network loading process and the method of successive averages. The model is first illustrated with a small example network before being applied to the inner zone of London's underground network. The effect of different values passengers might attach to finding a seat are illustrated. Applications of the model for transit planning as well as for information provision at the journey planner stage are discussed.
Volume (Year): 45 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Spiess, Heinz & Florian, Michael, 1989. "Optimal strategies: A new assignment model for transit networks," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 83-102, April.
- Cepeda, M. & Cominetti, R. & Florian, M., 2006. "A frequency-based assignment model for congested transit networks with strict capacity constraints: characterization and computation of equilibria," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 437-459, July.
- Sumalee, Agachai & Tan, Zhijia & Lam, William H.K., 2009. "Dynamic stochastic transit assignment with explicit seat allocation model," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 43(8-9), pages 895-912, September.
- Schmöcker, Jan-Dirk & Bell, Michael G.H. & Kurauchi, Fumitaka, 2008. "A quasi-dynamic capacity constrained frequency-based transit assignment model," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 42(10), pages 925-945, December.
- Nguyen, S. & Pallottino, S., 1988. "Equilibrium traffic assignment for large scale transit networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 176-186, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transb:v:45:y:2011:i:2:p:392-408. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.