Estimating multivariate heavy tails and principal directions easily, with an application to international exchange rates
In this paper, we consider the estimation of the tail indices of distributions in the domain of attraction of stable laws. We follow the approach of Meerschaert and Scheffler (1999), which requires exclusively the spectral decomposition of the uncentered sample moment matrix containing the moments of a collection of time series. The technique is applied successfully to ten major currencies, using daily data over the period 1996–2012.
Volume (Year): 82 (2012)
Issue (Month): 11 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meerschaert, Mark M. & Scheffler, Hans-Peter, 1999. "Moment Estimator for Random Vectors with Heavy Tails," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 145-159, October.
- McCulloch, J Huston, 1997. "Measuring Tail Thickness to Estimate the Stable Index Alpha: A Critique," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 15(1), pages 74-81, January.
- Loretan, Mico & Phillips, Peter C. B., 1994.
"Testing the covariance stationarity of heavy-tailed time series: An overview of the theory with applications to several financial datasets,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 211-248, January.
- Loretan, M. & Phillips, P.C.B., 1992. "Testing the Covariance Stationarity of Heavy-Tailed Time Series: An Overview of the Theory with Applications to Several Financial Datasets," Working papers 9208, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- B. N. Cheng & S. T. Rachev, 1995. "Multivariate Stable Futures Prices," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(2), pages 133-153.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:stapro:v:82:y:2012:i:11:p:1986-1989. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.