Exact distribution of a pre-test estimator for regression error variance when there are omitted variables
In this paper, we derive the exact distribution of a pre-test estimator for regression error variance when the relevant independent variables are omitted, and show theoretically that the MSE dominance of the Stein variance estimator over the usual estimator is robust to the specification error.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 60 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ohtani, Kazuhiro, 1993. "A Comparison of the Stein-Rule and Positive-Part Stein-Rule Estimators in a Misspecified Linear Regression Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(04), pages 668-679, August.
- Giles, David E. A. & Clarke, Judith A., 1989. "Preliminary-test estimation of the scale parameter in a mis-specified regression model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 201-205, September.
- Gelfand, Alan E. & Dey, Dipak K., 1988. "Improved estimation of the disturbance variance in a linear regression model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 387-395, November.
- Clarke, Judith A. & Giles, David E. A. & Wallace, T. Dudley, 1987. "Estimating the error variance in regression after a preliminary test of restrictions on the coefficients," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 293-304, March.
- Clarke, Judith A. & Giles, David E. A. & Wallace, T. Dudley, 1987. "Preliminary-Test Estimation of the Error Variance in Linear Regression," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(02), pages 299-304, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:stapro:v:60:y:2002:i:2:p:129-140. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.