U-processes, U-quantile processes and generalized linear statistics of dependent data
Generalized linear statistics are a unifying class that contains U-statistics, U-quantiles, L-statistics as well as trimmed and Winsorized U-statistics. For example, many commonly used estimators of scale fall into this class. GL-statistics have only been studied under independence; in this paper, we develop an asymptotic theory for GL-statistics of sequences which are strongly mixing or L1 near epoch dependent on an absolutely regular process. For this purpose, we prove an almost sure approximation of the empiricalU-process by a Gaussian process. With the help of a generalized Bahadur representation, it follows that such a strong invariance principle also holds for the empirical U-quantile process and consequently for GL-statistics. We obtain central limit theorems and laws of the iterated logarithm for U-processes, U-quantile processes and GL-statistics as straightforward corollaries.
Volume (Year): 122 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505572/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arcones, Miguel A. & Giné, Evarist, 1995. "On the law of the iterated logarithm for canonical U-statistics and processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 217-245, August.
- Babu, Gutti Jogesh & Singh, Kesar, 1978. "On deviations between empirical and quantile processes for mixing random variables," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 532-549, December.
- Dehling, Herold & Wendler, Martin, 2010. "Central limit theorem and the bootstrap for U-statistics of strongly mixing data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 126-137, January.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1991. "GARCH(1, 1) processes are near epoch dependent," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 181-186, June.
- Arcones, M. A., 1993. "The Law of the Iterated Logarithm for U-Processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 139-151, October.
- Wendler, Martin, 2011. "Bahadur representation for U-quantiles of dependent data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 102(6), pages 1064-1079, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:spapps:v:122:y:2012:i:3:p:787-807. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.