Subjective and objective neighborhood characteristics and adult health
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Eibner, Christine & Sturm, Roland, 2006. "US-based indices of area-level deprivation: Results from HealthCare for Communities," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 348-359, January.
- Wen, Ming & Hawkley, Louise C. & Cacioppo, John T., 2006. "Objective and perceived neighborhood environment, individual SES and psychosocial factors, and self-rated health: An analysis of older adults in Cook County, Illinois," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 63(10), pages 2575-2590, November.
- Franzini, Luisa & Caughy, Margaret & Spears, William & Eugenia Fernandez Esquer, Maria, 2005. "Neighborhood economic conditions, social processes, and self-rated health in low-income neighborhoods in Texas: A multilevel latent variables model," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 61(6), pages 1135-1150, September.
- Bowling, Ann & Stafford, Mai, 2007. "How do objective and subjective assessments of neighbourhood influence social and physical functioning in older age? Findings from a British survey of ageing," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 64(12), pages 2533-2549, June.
- Douglas Massey, 1996. "The age of extremes: Concentrated affluence and poverty in the twenty-first century," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 33(4), pages 395-412, November.
- Wen, Ming & Browning, Christopher R. & Cagney, Kathleen A., 2003. "Poverty, affluence, and income inequality: neighborhood economic structure and its implications for health," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 57(5), pages 843-860, September.
- Browning, Christopher R. & Cagney, Kathleen A. & Wen, Ming, 2003. "Explaining variation in health status across space and time: implications for racial and ethnic disparities in self-rated health," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 57(7), pages 1221-1235, October.
- Hou, Feng & Myles, John, 2005. "Neighbourhood inequality, neighbourhood affluence and population health," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 60(7), pages 1557-1569, April.
- Macintyre, Sally & Ellaway, Anne & Cummins, Steven, 2002. "Place effects on health: how can we conceptualise, operationalise and measure them?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 125-139, July.
- Krieger, N. & Chen, J.T. & Waterman, P.D. & Rehkopf, D.H. & Subramanian, S.V., 2003. "Race/Ethnicity, Gender, and Monitoring Socioeconomic Gradients in Health: Comparison of Area-Based Socioeconomic Measures - The Public Health Disparities Geocoding Project," American Journal of Public Health, American Public Health Association, vol. 93(10), pages 1655-1671.
- Kathleen A. Cagney & Christopher R. Browning & Ming Wen, 2005. "Racial Disparities in Self-Rated Health at Older Ages: What Difference Does the Neighborhood Make?," Journals of Gerontology: Series B, Gerontological Society of America, vol. 60(4), pages 181-190.
- Cummins, Steven & Curtis, Sarah & Diez-Roux, Ana V. & Macintyre, Sally, 2007. "Understanding and representing 'place' in health research: A relational approach," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 65(9), pages 1825-1838, November.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jae Seung Lee & Sungjin Park & Sanghoon Jung, 2016. "Effect of Crime Prevention through Environmental Design (CPTED) Measures on Active Living and Fear of Crime," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 8(9), pages 1-16, August.
- Oshio, Takashi & Urakawa, Kunio, 2013. "The association between perceived income inequality and subjective well-being: Evidence from a social survey in Japan," CIS Discussion paper series 579, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Root, Elisabeth D. & Meyer, Robert E. & Emch, Michael, 2011. "Socioeconomic context and gastroschisis: Exploring associations at various geographic scales," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 72(4), pages 625-633, February.
- Mahmood, Atiya & Chaudhury, Habib & Michael, Yvonne L. & Campo, Michael & Hay, Kara & Sarte, Ann, 2012. "A photovoice documentation of the role of neighborhood physical and social environments in older adults’ physical activity in two metropolitan areas in North America," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 74(8), pages 1180-1192.
- Scott, Stacey B. & Munoz, Elizabeth & Mogle, Jacqueline A. & Gamaldo, Alyssa A. & Smyth, Joshua M. & Almeida, David M. & Sliwinski, Martin J., 2018. "Perceived neighborhood characteristics predict severity and emotional response to daily stressors," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 200(C), pages 262-270.
- Wilson-Genderson, Maureen & Pruchno, Rachel, 2013. "Effects of neighborhood violence and perceptions of neighborhood safety on depressive symptoms of older adults," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 85(C), pages 43-49.
- Caspi, Caitlin E. & Kawachi, Ichiro & Subramanian, S.V. & Tucker-Seeley, Reginald & Sorensen, Glorian, 2013. "The social environment and walking behavior among low-income housing residents," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 80(C), pages 76-84.
- Danan Gu & Haiyan Zhu & Ming Wen, 2015. "Neighborhood-health links: Differences between rural-to-urban migrants and natives in Shanghai," Demographic Research, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 33(17), pages 499-524.
- Masood Gheasi & Noriko Ishikawa & Karima Kourtit & Peter Nijkamp, 2019. "A meta-analysis of human health differences in urban and rural environments," Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 167-186, December.
- Meffert, Susan M. & McCulloch, Charles E. & Neylan, Thomas C. & Gandhi, Monica & Lund, Crick, 2015. "Increase of perceived frequency of neighborhood domestic violence is associated with increase of women's depression symptoms in a nationally representative longitudinal study in South Africa," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 131(C), pages 89-97.
- Chaudhury, Habib & Campo, Michael & Michael, Yvonne & Mahmood, Atiya, 2016. "Neighbourhood environment and physical activity in older adults," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 149(C), pages 104-113.
- Benjamin Aretz & Gabriele Doblhammer & Fanny Janssen, 2018. "Effects of Changes in Living Environment on Physical Health: A Prospective Cohort Study of Movers and Non-Movers in Germany," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 997, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Eva Anna Christina Hart & Jeroen Lakerveld & Martin McKee & Jean-Michel Oppert & Harry Rutter & Hélène Charreire & Ruut Veenhoven & Helga Bárdos & Sofie Compernolle & Ilse De Bourdeaudhuij & Johannes , 2018. "Contextual correlates of happiness in European adults," PLOS ONE, Public Library of Science, vol. 13(1), pages 1-17, January.
- Samuel, Laura J. & Glass, Thomas A. & Thorpe, Roland J. & Szanton, Sarah L. & Roth, David L., 2015. "Household and neighborhood conditions partially account for associations between education and physical capacity in the National Health and Aging Trends Study," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 128(C), pages 67-75.
- Lane, Anna P. & Hou, Yuting & Hooi Wong, Chek & Yuen, Belinda, 2020. "Cross-sectional associations of neighborhood third places with social health among community-dwelling older adults," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 258(C).
- Verhaeghe, Pieter-Paul & Tampubolon, Gindo, 2012. "Individual social capital, neighbourhood deprivation, and self-rated health in England," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 349-357.
- Verma, Meghna & Rahul, T.M. & Vinayak, Pragun & Verma, Ashish, 2018. "Influence of childhood and adulthood attitudinal perceptions on bicycle usage in the Bangalore city," Journal of Transport Geography, Elsevier, vol. 72(C), pages 94-105.
- Grafova, Irina B. & Freedman, Vicki A. & Lurie, Nicole & Kumar, Rizie & Rogowski, Jeannette, 2014. "The difference-in-difference method: Assessing the selection bias in the effects of neighborhood environment on health," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 13(C), pages 20-33.
- Liang Ma & Jennifer Dill & Cynthia Mohr, 2014. "The objective versus the perceived environment: what matters for bicycling?," Transportation, Springer, vol. 41(6), pages 1135-1152, November.
- Robert F. Valois & Jelani C. Kerr & Michael P. Carey & Larry K. Brown & Daniel Romer & Ralph J. DiClemente & Peter A. Vanable, 2020. "Neighborhood Stress and Life Satisfaction: Is there a Relationship for African American Adolescents?," Applied Research in Quality of Life, Springer;International Society for Quality-of-Life Studies, vol. 15(1), pages 273-296, March.
- Petteway, Ryan J. & Mujahid, Mahasin & Allen, Amani & Morello-Frosch, Rachel, 2019. "The body language of place: A new method for mapping intergenerational “geographies of embodiment” in place-health research," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 223(C), pages 51-63.
- Hystad, Perry & Carpiano, Richard M. & Demers, Paul A. & Johnson, Kenneth C. & Brauer, Michael, 2013. "Neighbourhood socioeconomic status and individual lung cancer risk: Evaluating long-term exposure measures and mediating mechanisms," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 97(C), pages 95-103.
- Carpiano, Richard M. & Lloyd, Jennifer E.V. & Hertzman, Clyde, 2009. "Concentrated affluence, concentrated disadvantage, and children's readiness for school: A population-based, multi-level investigation," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 420-432, August.
- Li, Mengying & Johnson, Sara B. & Musci, Rashelle J. & Riley, Anne W., 2017. "Perceived neighborhood quality, family processes, and trajectories of child and adolescent externalizing behaviors in the United States," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 192(C), pages 152-161.
- Takashi Oshio & Kunio Urakawa, 2014. "The Association Between Perceived Income Inequality and Subjective Well-being: Evidence from a Social Survey in Japan," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 116(3), pages 755-770, May.
More about this item
KeywordsUSA Self-rated health Perceptions Socioeconomic status (SES) Neighborhood;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:66:y:2008:i:6:p:1256-1270. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Haili He). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.