Solving surgical cases assignment problem by a branch-and-price approach
In this paper, we study a surgical cases assignment problem (SCAP) of assigning a set of surgical cases to several multifunctional operating rooms with an objective of minimizing total operating cost. Firstly, we formulate this problem as an integer problem and then reformulate the integer program by using Dantzig-Wolf decomposition as a set partitioning problem. Based on this set partitioning formulation, a so-called branch-and-price exact solution algorithm, combining Branch-and-Bound procedure with column generation (CG) method, is designed for the proposed problem where each node is the linear relaxation problem of a set partitioning problem. This linear relaxation problem is solved by a CG approach in which each column represents a plan for one operating room and is generated by solving a sub-problem (SP) of single operating room planning problem. The computational results indicate that the decomposition approach is promising and capable of solving large problems.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chen, Zhi-Long & Powell, Warren B., 1999. "A column generation based decomposition algorithm for a parallel machine just-in-time scheduling problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 220-232, July.
- William S. Lovejoy & Ying Li, 2002. "Hospital Operating Room Capacity Expansion," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(11), pages 1369-1387, November.
- Hifi, M. & Zissimopoulos, V., 1996. "A recursive exact algorithm for weighted two-dimensional cutting," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 91(3), pages 553-564, June.
- Guinet, Alain & Chaabane, Sondes, 2003. "Operating theatre planning," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 69-81, July.
- Vissers, Jan M. H., 1998. "Patient flow-based allocation of inpatient resources: A case study," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 356-370, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:112:y:2008:i:1:p:96-108. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.