Detrended cross-correlation analysis approach for assessing asymmetric multifractal detrended cross-correlations and their application to the Chinese financial market
We propose a new method called the multifractal asymmetric detrended cross-correlation analysis method (MF-ADCCA) to investigate the asymmetric cross-correlations in nonstationary time series that combine the multifractal detrended cross-correlation analysis (MF-DCCA) and asymmetric detrended fluctuation analysis (A-DFA). The study aims to determine whether different scaling properties of the cross-correlations are obtained if a one-time series trending is either positive or negative. We apply MF-ADCCA to analyze empirically the scaling behavior of the cross-correlations among the Chinese stock market, the RMB exchange market, and the US stock market. Empirical results indicate that the cross-correlations between the Chinese stock market and the RMB/USD exchange market are more persistent when any one of the markets is falling. On the contrary, the cross-correlations between the Chinese stock market and the RMB/EU, RMB/GBP, RMB/JPY exchange markets and the US stock market are more persistent when one of the markets is rising. Moreover, asymmetric cross-correlations between any two of the selected financial markets are multifractal.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 393 (2014)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhao, Xiaojun & Shang, Pengjian & Lin, Aijing & Chen, Gang, 2011. "Multifractal Fourier detrended cross-correlation analysis of traffic signals," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 390(21), pages 3670-3678.
- He, Ling-Yun & Chen, Shu-Peng, 2011. "Nonlinear bivariate dependency of price–volume relationships in agricultural commodity futures markets: A perspective from Multifractal Detrended Cross-Correlation Analysis," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 390(2), pages 297-308.
- Andrew Ang & Geert Bekaert, 2002. "International Asset Allocation With Regime Shifts," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(4), pages 1137-1187.
- Wei-Xing Zhou, 2008. "Multifractal detrended cross-correlation analysis for two nonstationary signals," Papers 0803.2773, arXiv.org.
- Zhi-Qiang Jiang & Wei-Xing Zhou, 2011. "Multifractal detrending moving average cross-correlation analysis," Papers 1103.2577, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2011.
- Yuan, Ying & Zhuang, Xin-tian & Liu, Zhi-ying, 2012. "Price–volume multifractal analysis and its application in Chinese stock markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(12), pages 3484-3495.
- François Longin, 2001. "Extreme Correlation of International Equity Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 649-676, 04.
- Ang, Andrew & Chen, Joseph, 2002. "Asymmetric correlations of equity portfolios," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 443-494, March.
- Alvarez-Ramirez, Jose & Rodriguez, Eduardo & Carlos Echeverria, Juan, 2009. "A DFA approach for assessing asymmetric correlations," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 388(12), pages 2263-2270.
- B. Podobnik & I. Grosse & D. Horvatić & S. Ilic & P. Ch. Ivanov & H. E. Stanley, 2009. "Quantifying cross-correlations using local and global detrending approaches," The European Physical Journal B: Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer;EDP Sciences, vol. 71(2), pages 243-250, September.
- Ma, Feng & Wei, Yu & Huang, Dengshi, 2013. "Multifractal detrended cross-correlation analysis between the Chinese stock market and surrounding stock markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 392(7), pages 1659-1670.
- Zebende, G.F. & da Silva, P.A. & Machado Filho, A., 2011. "Study of cross-correlation in a self-affine time series of taxi accidents," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 390(9), pages 1677-1683.
- Wang, Dong-Hua & Yu, Xiao-Wen & Suo, Yuan-Yuan, 2012. "Statistical properties of the yuan exchange rate index," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(12), pages 3503-3512.
- Siqueira, Erinaldo Leite & Stošić, Tatijana & Bejan, Lucian & Stošić, Borko, 2010. "Correlations and cross-correlations in the Brazilian agrarian commodities and stocks," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(14), pages 2739-2743.
- Wang, Dong-Hua & Suo, Yuan-Yuan & Yu, Xiao-Wen & Lei, Man, 2013. "Price–volume cross-correlation analysis of CSI300 index futures," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 392(5), pages 1172-1179.
- Cao, Guangxi & Xu, Longbing & Cao, Jie, 2012. "Multifractal detrended cross-correlations between the Chinese exchange market and stock market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(20), pages 4855-4866.
- Liang Ding & Hiroyoki Miyake & Hao Zou, 2011. "Asymmetric correlations in equity returns: a fundamental-based explanation," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(6), pages 389-399.
- Wang, Gang-Jin & Xie, Chi, 2013. "Cross-correlations between Renminbi and four major currencies in the Renminbi currency basket," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 392(6), pages 1418-1428.
- B. Podobnik & D. F. Fu & H. E. Stanley & P. Ch. Ivanov, 2007. "Power-law autocorrelated stochastic processes with long-range cross-correlations," The European Physical Journal B: Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer;EDP Sciences, vol. 56(1), pages 47-52, 03.
- Cao, Guangxi & Cao, Jie & Xu, Longbing, 2013. "Asymmetric multifractal scaling behavior in the Chinese stock market: Based on asymmetric MF-DFA," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 392(4), pages 797-807.
- Wang, Yudong & Wei, Yu & Wu, Chongfeng, 2010. "Cross-correlations between Chinese A-share and B-share markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(23), pages 5468-5478.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:393:y:2014:i:c:p:460-469. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.