An integrated production and inventory model for a whole manufacturing supply chain involving reverse logistics with finite horizon period
This paper proposes a model and solution method for coordinating integrated production and inventory cycles in a whole manufacturing supply chain involving reverse logistics for multiple items with finite horizon period. A whole manufacturing supply chain involving reverse logistic consists of tier-2 suppliers supplying raw materials to tier-1 suppliers, tier-1 suppliers producing parts, a manufacturer which manufactures and assembles parts from tier-1 suppliers into finished products, distributors distributing finished products to retailers, retailers selling products to end customers and a third party which collects the used finished products from end customers, dissembles collected products into parts, and feed the parts back to the supply chain. In this system, we consider a finite horizon period. A mathematical model for representing the behaviors of the system is developed. Solution methods based on decentralized and a combination of decentralized and centralized decision making process, referred to as the semi-centralized decision making process, are proposed to solve the model while the centralized decision making process is solved by a mixed integer nonlinear programming method. A numerical example is used to demonstrate the model and the solutions based on the three types of the coordination.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chen, Tsung-Hui & Chen, Jen-Ming, 2005. "Optimizing supply chain collaboration based on joint replenishment and channel coordination," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 261-285, July.
- El Saadany, Ahmed M.A. & Jaber, Mohamad Y., 2011. "A production/remanufacture model with returns' subassemblies managed differently," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 119-126, September.
- Akanle, O.M. & Zhang, D.Z., 2008. "Agent-based model for optimising supply-chain configurations," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 444-460, October.
- Haksever, Cengiz & Moussourakis, John, 2005. "A model for optimizing multi-product inventory systems with multiple constraints," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 18-30, July.
- Wee, Hui-Ming & Lee, Ming-Chang & Yu, Jonas C.P. & Edward Wang, C., 2011. "Optimal replenishment policy for a deteriorating green product: Life cycle costing analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 603-611, October.
- Chan, Chi Kin & Kingsman, Brian G., 2007. "Coordination in a single-vendor multi-buyer supply chain by synchronizing delivery and production cycles," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 90-111, March.
- Jaber, M.Y. & Goyal, S.K., 2008. "Coordinating a three-level supply chain with multiple suppliers, a vendor and multiple buyers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 95-103, November.
- Kin Chan, Chi & Lee, Y.C.E. & Goyal, S.K., 2010. "A delayed payment method in co-ordinating a single-vendor multi-buyer supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 95-102, September.
- Ganeshan, Ram, 1999. "Managing supply chain inventories: A multiple retailer, one warehouse, multiple supplier model," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1-3), pages 341-354, March.
- Choi, Dae-Won & Hwang, Hark & Koh, Shie-Gheun, 2007. "A generalized ordering and recovery policy for reusable items," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 182(2), pages 764-774, October.
- Gou, Qinglong & Liang, Liang & Huang, Zhimin & Xu, Chuanyong, 2008. "A joint inventory model for an open-loop reverse supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 28-42, November.
- Rieksts, Brian Q. & Ventura, Jose A., 2008. "Optimal inventory policies with two modes of freight transportation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 186(2), pages 576-585, April.
- Khouja, Moutaz, 2003. "Optimizing inventory decisions in a multi-stage multi-customer supply chain," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 193-208, May.
- R. Canan Savaskan & Shantanu Bhattacharya & Luk N. Van Wassenhove, 2004. "Closed-Loop Supply Chain Models with Product Remanufacturing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(2), pages 239-252, February.
- Lee, Wenyih, 2005. "A joint economic lot size model for raw material ordering, manufacturing setup, and finished goods delivering," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 163-174, April.
- Chung, Chun-Jen & Wee, Hui-Ming, 2011. "Short life-cycle deteriorating product remanufacturing in a green supply chain inventory control system," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 129(1), pages 195-203, January.
- Mitra, Subrata, 2009. "Analysis of a two-echelon inventory system with returns," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 106-115, February.
- Sarmah, S.P. & Acharya, D. & Goyal, S.K., 2006. "Buyer vendor coordination models in supply chain management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(1), pages 1-15, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:41:y:2013:i:3:p:598-620. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.