Single-machine batch delivery scheduling with an assignable common due window
This paper addresses a batch delivery single-machine scheduling problem in which jobs have an assignable common due window. Each job will incur an early (tardy) penalty if it is early (tardy) with respect to the common due window under a given schedule. There is no capacity limit on each delivery batch, and the cost per batch delivery is fixed and independent of the number of jobs in the batch. The objective is to find the optimal size and location of the window, the optimal dispatch date for each job, as well as an optimal job sequence to minimize a cost function based on earliness, tardiness, holding time, window location, window size, and batch delivery. We show that the problem can be optimally solved in O(n8) time by a dynamic programming algorithm under a reasonable assumption on the relationships among the cost parameters. A computational experiment is also conducted to evaluate the performance of the proposed algorithm. We also show that some special cases of the problem can be optimally solved by lower order algorithms.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yeung, W. K. & Oguz, Ceyda & Edwin Cheng, T. C., 2004. "Two-stage flowshop earliness and tardiness machine scheduling involving a common due window," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 421-434, August.
- Shabtay, Dvir, 2010. "Scheduling and due date assignment to minimize earliness, tardiness, holding, due date assignment and batch delivery costs," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 123(1), pages 235-242, January.
- Cheng, T. C. E. & Gupta, M. C., 1989. "Survey of scheduling research involving due date determination decisions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 156-166, January.
- Herrmann, Jeffrey W. & Lee, Chung-Yee, 1993. "On scheduling to minimize earliness-tardiness and batch delivery costs with a common due date," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 272-288, November.
- Chen, Zhi-Long, 1996. "Scheduling and common due date assignment with earliness-tardiness penalties and batch delivery costs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 49-60, August.
- Gordon, Valery & Proth, Jean-Marie & Chu, Chengbin, 2002. "A survey of the state-of-the-art of common due date assignment and scheduling research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 139(1), pages 1-25, May.
- Liman, Surya D. & Panwalkar, Shrikant S. & Thongmee, Sansern, 1996. "Determination of common due window location in a single machine scheduling problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 68-74, August.
- Cheng, T.C.E. & Yang, Suh-Jenq & Yang, Dar-Li, 2012. "Common due-window assignment and scheduling of linear time-dependent deteriorating jobs and a deteriorating maintenance activity," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 154-161.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:41:y:2013:i:2:p:216-225. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.