Robust estimation in generalized semiparametric mixed models for longitudinal data
In this paper, we consider robust generalized estimating equations for the analysis of semiparametric generalized partial linear mixed models (GPLMMs) for longitudinal data. We approximate the non-parametric function in the GPLMM by a regression spline, and make use of bounded scores and leverage-based weights in the estimating equation to achieve robustness against outliers and influential data points, respectively. Under some regularity conditions, the asymptotic properties of the robust estimators are investigated. To avoid the computational problems involving high-dimensional integrals in our estimators, we adopt a robust Monte Carlo Newton-Raphson (RMCNR) algorithm for fitting GPLMMs. Small simulations are carried out to study the behavior of the robust estimates in the presence of outliers, and these estimates are also compared to their corresponding non-robust estimates. The proposed robust method is illustrated in the analysis of two real data sets.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 98 (2007)
Issue (Month): 8 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description |
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. G. Booth & J. P. Hobert, 1999. "Maximizing generalized linear mixed model likelihoods with an automated Monte Carlo EM algorithm," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 61(1), pages 265-285.
- Xuming He, 2002. "Estimation in a semiparametric model for longitudinal data with unspecified dependence structure," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(3), pages 579-590, August.
- Lin X. & Carroll R. J., 2001. "Semiparametric Regression for Clustered Data Using Generalized Estimating Equations," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 1045-1056, September.
- He, Xuming & Fung, Wing K. & Zhu, Zhongyi, 2005. "Robust Estimation in Generalized Partial Linear Models for Clustered Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 1176-1184, December.
- Sinha S.K., 2004. "Robust Analysis of Generalized Linear Mixed Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 451-460, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:98:y:2007:i:8:p:1658-1683. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.