Model-Building Problem of Periodically Correlatedm-Variate Moving Average Processes
The model-building problem of periodically correlatedm-variateq-dependent processes is considered. We show that for a given periodical autocovariance function of anm-variateMA(q) process there are two particular corresponding classes (that may reduce to one class) of periodic (equivalent) models. Furthermore, any other (intermediate) model is not periodic. It is, however, asymptotically periodic. The matrix coefficients of the particular periodic models are given in terms of limits of some periodic matrix continued fractions, which are a generalization of the classical periodic continued fractions (Wall, 1948). These periodic matrix continued fractions are particular solutions of some prospective and/or retrospective recursion equations, arising from the symbolic factorization of the associated linear autocovariance operator. In addition, we establish a procedure to calculate these limits. Numerical examples are given for the simple cases of periodically correlated univariate one- and two-dependent processes.
Volume (Year): 66 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Franses, Philip Hans, 1994. "A multivariate approach to modeling univariate seasonal time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 133-151, July.
- Marc Hallin & Mohamed Bentarzi, 1994. "On the invertibility of periodic moving-average models," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/2047, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Parzen, Emanuel & Pagano, Marcello, 1979. "An approach to modeling seasonally stationary time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1-2), pages 137-153, January.
- Marc Hallin, 1984. "Spectral factorization of nonstationary moving average processes," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/2001, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bentarzi, Mohamed & Hallin, Marc, 1996.
"Locally Optimal Tests against Periodic Autoregression: Parametric and Nonparametric Approaches,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(01), pages 88-112, March.
- Marc Hallin & Mohamed Bentarzi, 1996. "Locally optimal tests against periodic autoregression: parametric and nonparametric approaches," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/2063, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Osborn, Denise R., 1991. "The implications of periodically varying coefficients for seasonal time-series processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 373-384, June.
- George E. P. Box & Steven Hilimer & George C. Tiao, 1978.
"Analysis and Modeling of Seasonal Time Series,"
in: Seasonal Analysis of Economic Time Series, pages 309-344
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:66:y:1998:i:1:p:1-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.