Trade in nominal assets : Monetary policy, and price level and exchange rate risk
In a previous paper, "Trade in Risky Assets," I have analyzed the pattern of international trade in risky real assets between barter economies, relying on the Law of Comparative Advantage and using autarky asset price differences to predict the pattern of asset trade. In this paper the analysis is extended to international trade in nominal assets (assets with returns paid in currencies) between monetary economies. The risk characteristics of real returns on nominal assets depend on price level and exchange rate risk, and therefore on monetary policy. It is examined how different combinations of monetary policies and exchange rate regimes affect nominal assets' return risk characteristics, their autarky prices, and hence their trade pattern, when countries differ with respect to their outputs or their attitudes towards risk. When world asset markets are incomplete, different monetary policies and exchange rate regimes have dramatic effects on risk characteristics of home and foreign currency bonds and on the trade pattern in these assets, as well as on aggregate capital and current accounts.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- André Farber & Eugene Fama, 1979.
"Money, bonds and foreign exchange,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/11356, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Stockman, Alan C. & Stockman, Alan C., 1983. "Real exchange rates under alternative nominal exchange-rate systems," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 147-166, August.
- Deardorff, Alan V, 1980. "The General Validity of the Law of Comparative Advantage," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(5), pages 941-57, October.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1981.
"An Exploration in the Theory of Exchange-Rate Regimes,"
3445091, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1981. "An Exploration in the Theory of Exchange-Rate Regimes," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(5), pages 865-90, October.
- Helpman, Elhanan & Razin, Assaf, 1984. "The role of saving and investment in exchange rate determination under alternative monetary mechanisms," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 307-325, May.
- Helpman, Elhanan & Razin, Assaf, 1982. "A Comparison of Exchange Rate Regimes in the Presence of Imperfect Capital Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 23(2), pages 365-88, June.
- Persson, Torsten, 1984. "Real transfers in fixed exchange rate systems and the international adjustment mechanism," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 349-369, May.
- Alan C. Stockman & Lars E.O. Svensson, 1985.
"Capital Flows, Investment, and Exchange Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
1598, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stulz, Rene M, 1984. "Currency Preferences, Purchasing Power Risks, and the Determination of Exchange Rates in an Optimizing Model," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 16(3), pages 302-16, August.
- Selden, Larry, 1978. "A New Representation of Preferences over "Certain A Uncertain" Consumption Pairs: The "Ordinal Certainty Equivalent" Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(5), pages 1045-60, September.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1982. "Interest rates and currency prices in a two-country world," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 335-359.
- Torsten Persson & Lars E.O. Svensson, 1989.
"Exchange Rate Variability And Asset Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
2811, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svensson, Lars E. O., 1985. "Currency prices, terms of trade, and interest rates: A general equilibrium asset-pricing cash-in-advance approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1-2), pages 17-41, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:inecon:v:26:y:1989:i:1-2:p:1-28. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.