Lower and upper bounds for location-arc routing problems with vehicle capacity constraints
This paper addresses multi-depot location arc routing problems with vehicle capacity constraints. Two mixed integer programming models are presented for single and multi-depot problems. Relaxing these formulations leads to other integer programming models whose solutions provide good lower bounds for the total cost. A powerful insertion heuristic has been developed for solving the underlying capacitated arc routing problem. This heuristic is used together with a novel location–allocation heuristic to solve the problem within a simulated annealing framework. Extensive computational results demonstrate that the proposed algorithm can find high quality solutions. We also show that the potential cost saving resulting from adding location decisions to the capacitated arc routing problem is significant.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 224 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nagy, Gabor & Salhi, Said, 2007. "Location-routing: Issues, models and methods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(2), pages 649-672, March.
- Aksen, Deniz & Altinkemer, Kemal, 2008. "A location-routing problem for the conversion to the "click-and-mortar" retailing: The static case," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 186(2), pages 554-575, April.
- Barreto, Sergio & Ferreira, Carlos & Paixao, Jose & Santos, Beatriz Sousa, 2007. "Using clustering analysis in a capacitated location-routing problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 179(3), pages 968-977, June.
- Beullens, Patrick & Muyldermans, Luc & Cattrysse, Dirk & Van Oudheusden, Dirk, 2003. "A guided local search heuristic for the capacitated arc routing problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 147(3), pages 629-643, June.
- Albareda-Sambola, Maria & Fernandez, Elena & Laporte, Gilbert, 2007. "Heuristic and lower bound for a stochastic location-routing problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 179(3), pages 940-955, June.
- Ulusoy, Gunduz, 1985. "The fleet size and mix problem for capacitated arc routing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 329-337, December.
- Mourao, M. Candida & Almeida, M. Teresa, 2000. "Lower-bounding and heuristic methods for a refuse collection vehicle routing problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 420-434, March.
- Prodhon, Caroline, 2011. "A hybrid evolutionary algorithm for the periodic location-routing problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 210(2), pages 204-212, April.
- Haastrup, P. & Maniezzo, V. & Mattarelli, M. & Mazzeo Rinaldi, F. & Mendes, I. & Paruccini, M., 1998. "A decision support system for urban waste management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 330-341, September.
- Mourao, Maria Candida & Amado, Ligia, 2005. "Heuristic method for a mixed capacitated arc routing problem: A refuse collection application," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 160(1), pages 139-153, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:224:y:2013:i:1:p:189-208. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.