An exact approach for single machine subproblems in shifting bottleneck procedures for job shops with total weighted tardiness objective
In this paper, we propose an exact solution method for single machine scheduling problems typically arising from bottleneck-based decomposition of weighted tardiness job shops. The encountered subproblems are characterized by delayed precedence constraints, multiple local due dates per operation and an objective function that is given by a weighted sum of maximum tardiness values. The key concept for solving these subproblems to optimality is a dominance rule whose underlying concepts have been newly developed to cope with the given structural properties. Furthermore, a simple lower bound and a dedicated constraint programming technique are presented. The efficiency of the proposed method is demonstrated by means of single machine problems collected during a run of a shifting bottleneck procedure for job shops in different size and due date tightness configurations.
Volume (Year): 218 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mati, Yazid & Dauzère-Pérès, Stèphane & Lahlou, Chams, 2011. "A general approach for optimizing regular criteria in the job-shop scheduling problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 212(1), pages 33-42, July.
- Monch, Lars & Schabacker, Rene & Pabst, Detlef & Fowler, John W., 2007. "Genetic algorithm-based subproblem solution procedures for a modified shifting bottleneck heuristic for complex job shops," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(3), pages 2100-2118, March.
- Jouglet, Antoine & Savourey, David & Carlier, Jacques & Baptiste, Philippe, 2008. "Dominance-based heuristics for one-machine total cost scheduling problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 184(3), pages 879-899, February.
- Carlier, Jacques, 1982. "The one-machine sequencing problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 42-47, September.
- Egon Balas & Jan Karel Lenstra & Alkis Vazacopoulos, 1995. "The One-Machine Problem with Delayed Precedence Constraints and its Use in Job Shop Scheduling," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(1), pages 94-109, January.
- Jouglet, Antoine & Carlier, Jacques, 2011. "Dominance rules in combinatorial optimization problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 212(3), pages 433-444, August.
- Joseph Adams & Egon Balas & Daniel Zawack, 1988. "The Shifting Bottleneck Procedure for Job Shop Scheduling," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(3), pages 391-401, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:218:y:2012:i:1:p:76-85. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.