A multiple criteria sorting method where each category is characterized by several reference actions: The Electre Tri-nC method
This paper presents Electre Tri-nC, a new sorting method which takes into account several reference actions for characterizing each category. This new method gives a particular freedom to the decision maker in the co-construction decision aiding process with the analyst to characterize the set of categories, while there is no constraint for introducing only one reference action as typical of each category like in Electre Tri-C (Almeida-Dias et al., 2010). As in such a sorting method, this new sorting method is composed of two joint rules. Electre Tri-nC also fulfills a certain number of natural requirements. Additional results on the behavior of the new method are also provided in this paper, namely the ones with respect to the addition or removal of the reference actions used for characterizing a certain category. A numerical example illustrates the manner in which Electre Tri-nC can be used by a decision maker. A comparison with some related sorting procedures is presented and it allows to conclude that the new method is appropriate to deal with sorting problems.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greco, Salvatore & Matarazzo, Benedetto & Slowinski, Roman, 2002. "Rough sets methodology for sorting problems in presence of multiple attributes and criteria," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 138(2), pages 247-259, April.
- Fernandez, Eduardo & Navarro, Jorge & Bernal, Sergio, 2009. "Multicriteria sorting using a valued indifference relation under a preference disaggregation paradigm," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 198(2), pages 602-609, October.
- Belacel, Nabil, 2000. "Multicriteria assignment method PROAFTN: Methodology and medical application," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 125(1), pages 175-183, August.
- Leger, Julien & Martel, Jean-Marc, 2002. "A multicriteria assignment procedure for a nominal sorting problematic," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 138(2), pages 349-364, April.
- Greco, Salvatore & Mousseau, Vincent & Slowinski, Roman, 2010. "Multiple criteria sorting with a set of additive value functions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(3), pages 1455-1470, December.
- Fernandez, Eduardo & Navarro, Jorge & Duarte, Alfonso, 2008. "Multicriteria sorting using a valued preference closeness relation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 185(2), pages 673-686, March.
- Blaszczynski, Jerzy & Greco, Salvatore & Slowinski, Roman, 2007. "Multi-criteria classification - A new scheme for application of dominance-based decision rules," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 181(3), pages 1030-1044, September.
- Araz, Ceyhun & Ozkarahan, Irem, 2007. "Supplier evaluation and management system for strategic sourcing based on a new multicriteria sorting procedure," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 585-606, April.
- Almeida-Dias, J. & Figueira, J.R. & Roy, B., 2010. "Electre Tri-C: A multiple criteria sorting method based on characteristic reference actions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(3), pages 565-580, August.
- Doumpos, Michael & Zopounidis, Constantin, 2004. "A multicriteria classification approach based on pairwise comparisons," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 158(2), pages 378-389, October.
- Fernandez, Eduardo & Navarro, Jorge, 2011. "A new approach to multi-criteria sorting based on fuzzy outranking relations: The THESEUS method," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 213(2), pages 405-413, September.
- Dembczynski, Krzysztof & Greco, Salvatore & Slowinski, Roman, 2009. "Rough set approach to multiple criteria classification with imprecise evaluations and assignments," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 198(2), pages 626-636, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:217:y:2012:i:3:p:567-579. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.