Questions guiding the choice of a multicriteria decision aiding method
We formulate some questions that may help an analyst to choose a multicriteria decision aiding method well adapted to the decision context. These questions take into account several aspects of the decision process and of the cooperation between the analyst and the decision maker. We present these questions in a hierarchical order, from the most general and crucial, through other pertinent questions concerning the multicriteria aggregation, to the secondary ones. The initial question is what type of results the method is expected to bring. The next questions concern requirements on preference scales, acquisition of preference information, handling of imperfect knowledge, acceptance of compensation among criteria, and existence of interaction among criteria. The last questions are about intelligibility, axiomatic characterization, and weaknesses of the considered methods. To illustrate these questions, we introduce twelve representative and realistic decision contexts.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2013|
|Publication status:||Published in EURO Journal on Decision Processes, 2013, 1, pp.69-97. <10.1007/s40070-013-0004-7>|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00874292|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Doumpos, Michael & Zopounidis, Constantin, 2004. "A multicriteria classification approach based on pairwise comparisons," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 158(2), pages 378-389, October.
- Belacel, Nabil, 2000. "Multicriteria assignment method PROAFTN: Methodology and medical application," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 125(1), pages 175-183, August.
- Almeida-Dias, J. & Figueira, J.R. & Roy, B., 2012. "A multiple criteria sorting method where each category is characterized by several reference actions: The Electre Tri-nC method," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 217(3), pages 567-579.
- Blaszczynski, Jerzy & Greco, Salvatore & Slowinski, Roman, 2007. "Multi-criteria classification - A new scheme for application of dominance-based decision rules," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 181(3), pages 1030-1044, September.
- Fernandez, Eduardo & Navarro, Jorge, 2011. "A new approach to multi-criteria sorting based on fuzzy outranking relations: The THESEUS method," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 213(2), pages 405-413, September.
- Bana e Costa, Carlos A. & Vansnick, Jean-Claude, 2008. "A critical analysis of the eigenvalue method used to derive priorities in AHP," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 187(3), pages 1422-1428, June.
- Almeida-Dias, J. & Figueira, J.R. & Roy, B., 2010. "Electre Tri-C: A multiple criteria sorting method based on characteristic reference actions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(3), pages 565-580, August.
- Dembczynski, Krzysztof & Greco, Salvatore & Slowinski, Roman, 2009. "Rough set approach to multiple criteria classification with imprecise evaluations and assignments," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 198(2), pages 626-636, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:hal-00874292. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.