Warehouse design: A structured approach
In spite of the importance of warehousing to the customer service and cost levels of many businesses, there is currently not a comprehensive systematic method for designing warehouses. In this paper, the current literature on the overall methodology of warehouse design is explored, together with the literature on tools and techniques used for specific areas of analysis. The general results from the literature have then been validated and refined with reference to warehouse design companies. The output is a general framework of steps, with specific tools and techniques that can be used for each step. This is intended to be of value to practitioners and to assist further research into the development of a more comprehensive methodology for warehouse design.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ashayeri, J. & Gelders, L. F., 1985. "Warehouse design optimization," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 285-294, September.
- Gu, Jinxiang & Goetschalckx, Marc & McGinnis, Leon F., 2007. "Research on warehouse operation: A comprehensive review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Rouwenhorst, B. & Reuter, B. & Stockrahm, V. & van Houtum, G. J. & Mantel, R. J. & Zijm, W. H. M., 2000. "Warehouse design and control: Framework and literature review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 122(3), pages 515-533, May.
- Cormier, Gilles & Gunn, Eldon A., 1992. "A review of warehouse models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 3-13, April.
- Steven Hackman & Edward Frazelle & Paul Griffin & Susan Griffin & Dimitra Vlasta, 2001. "Benchmarking Warehousing and Distribution Operations: An Input-Output Approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 79-100, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:193:y:2009:i:2:p:425-436. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.