Bandwidth packing with priority classes
The bandwidth packing problem is defined as the selection and routing of messages from a given list of messages with prespecified requirements on demand for bandwidth. The messages have to be routed over a network with given topology so that the generated revenue is maximized. Messages to be routed are classified into two priority classes. An integer programming based formulation of this problem is proposed and a Lagrangean relaxation based methodology is described for solving this problem. A general purpose heuristic is then developed for generating feasible solutions of good quality. Several numerical experiments are conducted using a number of problem parameters such as number of messages, ratio of messages for lower and higher priority classes, capacity of links, and demand distribution of messages belonging to different classes and high quality solutions to the priority bandwidth packing problem are generated under the different situations.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manuel Laguna & Fred Glover, 1993. "Bandwidth Packing: A Tabu Search Approach," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(4), pages 492-500, April.
- Amiri, Ali, 2005. "The selection and scheduling of telecommunication calls with time windows," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 243-256, November.
- Amiri, Ali & Rolland, Erik & Barkhi, Reza, 1999. "Bandwidth packing with queuing delay costs: Bounding and heuristic solution procedures," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 112(3), pages 635-645, February.
- Kyungchul Park & Seokhoon Kang & Sungsoo Park, 1996. "An Integer Programming Approach to the Bandwidth Packing Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(9), pages 1277-1291, September.
- Altinkemer, Kemal & Bose, Indranil, 2003. "Asynchronous transfer mode networks with parallel links and multiple service classes," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 146(1), pages 181-198, April.
- Bazaraa, Mokhtar S. & Goode, Jamie J., 1979. "A survey of various tactics for generating Lagrangian multipliers in the context of Lagrangian duality," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 322-338, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:192:y:2009:i:1:p:313-325. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.