An effective VNS for the capacitated p-median problem
In the capacitated p-median problem (CPMP), a set of n customers is to be partitioned into p disjoint clusters, such that the total dissimilarity within each cluster is minimized subject to constraints on maximum cluster capacity. Dissimilarity of a cluster is the sum of the dissimilarities between each customer who belongs to the cluster and the median associated with the cluster. An effective variable neighbourhood search heuristic for this problem is proposed. The heuristic is characterized by the use of easily computed lower bounds to assess whether undertaking computationally expensive calculation of the worth of moves, within the neighbourhood search, is necessary. The small proportion of moves that need to be assessed fully are then evaluated by an exact solution of a relatively small subproblem. Computational results on five standard sets of benchmark problem instances show that the heuristic finds all the best-known solutions. For one instance, the previously best-known solution is improved, if only marginally.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mulvey, John M. & Beck, Michael P., 1984. "Solving capacitated clustering problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 339-348, December.
- Ahmadi, Samad & Osman, Ibrahim H., 2005. "Greedy random adaptive memory programming search for the capacitated clustering problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 162(1), pages 30-44, April.
- Koskosidis, Yiannis A. & Powell, Warren B., 1992. "Clustering algorithms for consolidation of customer orders into vehicle shipments," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 365-379, October.
- Yagiura, Mutsunori & Ibaraki, Toshihide & Glover, Fred, 2006. "A path relinking approach with ejection chains for the generalized assignment problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 169(2), pages 548-569, March.
- Scheuerer, Stephan & Wendolsky, Rolf, 2006. "A scatter search heuristic for the capacitated clustering problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 169(2), pages 533-547, March.
- Fathali, J. & Kakhki, H. Taghizadeh, 2006. "Solving the p-median problem with pos/neg weights by variable neighborhood search and some results for special cases," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 170(2), pages 440-462, April.
- Diaz, Juan A. & Fernandez, Elena, 2006. "Hybrid scatter search and path relinking for the capacitated p-median problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 169(2), pages 570-585, March.
- Bozkaya, Burcin & Erkut, Erhan & Laporte, Gilbert, 2003. "A tabu search heuristic and adaptive memory procedure for political districting," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 12-26, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:191:y:2008:i:3:p:612-622. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.