Efficiency bounds for estimating linear functionals of nonparametric regression models with endogenous regressors
Let Y=μ∗(X)+ε, where μ∗ is unknown and E[ε|X]≠0 with positive probability but there exist instrumental variables W such that E[ε|W]=0 w.p.1. It is well known that such nonparametric regression models are generally “ill-posed” in the sense that the map from the data to μ∗ is not continuous. In this paper, we derive the efficiency bounds for estimating certain linear functionals of μ∗ without assuming μ∗ itself to be identified.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newey, W.K., 1989.
"The Asymptotic Variance Of Semiparametric Estimotors,"
346, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Newey, Whitney K, 1994. "The Asymptotic Variance of Semiparametric Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1349-82, November.
- Newey, W.K., 1991. "The Asymptotic Variance of Semiparametric Estimators," Working papers 583, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Richard Blundell & Xiaohong Chen & Dennis Kristensen, 2007. "Semi-Nonparametric IV Estimation of Shape-Invariant Engel Curves," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(6), pages 1613-1669, November.
- Bryan W. Brown & Whitney K. Newey, 1998. "Efficient Semiparametric Estimation of Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(2), pages 453-464, March.
- Chunrong Ai & Xiaohong Chen, 2003. "Efficient Estimation of Models with Conditional Moment Restrictions Containing Unknown Functions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1795-1843, November.
- Whitney K. Newey & James L. Powell, 2003. "Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonparametric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1565-1578, 09.
- Chunrong Ai & Xiaohong Chen, 2009. "Semiparametric efficiency bound for models of sequential moment restrictions containing unknown functions," CeMMAP working papers CWP28/09, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Severini, Thomas A. & Tripathi, Gautam, 2006.
"Some Identification Issues In Nonparametric Linear Models With Endogenous Regressors,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(02), pages 258-278, April.
- Thomas A. Severini & Gautam Tripathi, 2005. "Some Identification Issues in Nonparametric Linear Models with Endogenous Regressors," Working papers 2005-12, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Severini, Thomas A. & Tripathi, Gautam, 2001. "A simplified approach to computing efficiency bounds in semiparametric models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 102(1), pages 23-66, May.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1992. "Efficiency Bounds for Semiparametric Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(3), pages 567-96, May.
- Chunrong Ai & Xiaohong Chen, 2009. "Semiparametric Efficiency Bound for Models of Sequential Moment Restrictions Containing Unknown Functions," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1731, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Ai, Chunrong & Chen, Xiaohong, 2007. "Estimation of possibly misspecified semiparametric conditional moment restriction models with different conditioning variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 5-43, November.
- Carrasco, Marine & Florens, Jean-Pierre & Renault, Eric, 2007. "Linear Inverse Problems in Structural Econometrics Estimation Based on Spectral Decomposition and Regularization," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 77 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:170:y:2012:i:2:p:491-498. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.