Jackknife model averaging
We consider the problem of obtaining appropriate weights for averaging M approximate (misspecified) models for improved estimation of an unknown conditional mean in the face of non-nested model uncertainty in heteroskedastic error settings. We propose a “jackknife model averaging” (JMA) estimator which selects the weights by minimizing a cross-validation criterion. This criterion is quadratic in the weights, so computation is a simple application of quadratic programming. We show that our estimator is asymptotically optimal in the sense of achieving the lowest possible expected squared error. Monte Carlo simulations and an illustrative application show that JMA can achieve significant efficiency gains over existing model selection and averaging methods in the presence of heteroskedasticity.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Racine, Jeff, 1997. "Feasible Cross-Validatory Model Selection for General Stationary Processes," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(2), pages 169-79, March-Apr.
- Andrews, Donald W. K., 1991. "Asymptotic optimality of generalized CL, cross-validation, and generalized cross-validation in regression with heteroskedastic errors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2-3), pages 359-377, February.
- Wan, Alan T.K. & Zhang, Xinyu & Zou, Guohua, 2010. "Least squares model averaging by Mallows criterion," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 156(2), pages 277-283, June.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 2007. "Least Squares Model Averaging," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(4), pages 1175-1189, 07.
- Racine, Jeff & Li, Qi, 2004. "Nonparametric estimation of regression functions with both categorical and continuous data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 99-130, March.
- Yang Y., 2001. "Adaptive Regression by Mixing," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 574-588, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:167:y:2012:i:1:p:38-46. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.