Incorrect asymptotic size of subsampling procedures based on post-consistent model selection estimators
Subsampling and the m out of n bootstrap have been suggested in the literature as methods for carrying out inference based on post-model selection estimators and shrinkage estimators. In this paper we consider a subsampling confidence interval (CI) that is based on an estimator that can be viewed either as a post-model selection estimator that employs a consistent model selection procedure or as a super-efficient estimator. We show that the subsampling CI (of nominal level 1-[alpha] for any [alpha][set membership, variant](0,1)) has asymptotic confidence size (defined to be the limit of finite-sample size) equal to zero in a very simple regular model. The same result holds for the m out of n bootstrap provided m2/n-->0 and the observations are i.i.d. Similar zero-asymptotic-confidence-size results hold in more complicated models that are covered by the general results given in the paper and for super-efficient and shrinkage estimators that are not post-model selection estimators. Based on these results, subsampling and the m out of n bootstrap are not recommended for obtaining inference based on post-consistent model selection or shrinkage estimators.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrews, Donald W.K. & Guggenberger, Patrik, 2009.
"Validity Of Subsampling And “Plug-In Asymptotic” Inference For Parameters Defined By Moment Inequalities,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(03), pages 669-709, June.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Patrik Guggenberger, 2007. "Validity of Subsampling and "Plug-in Asymptotic" Inference for Parameters Defined by Moment Inequalities," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1620, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Leeb, Hannes & P tscher, Benedikt M., 2005. "Model Selection And Inference: Facts And Fiction," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(01), pages 21-59, February.
- Leeb, Hannes & P tscher, Benedikt M., 2006. "Performance Limits For Estimators Of The Risk Or Distribution Of Shrinkage-Type Estimators, And Some General Lower Risk-Bound Results," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(01), pages 69-97, February.
- Hannes Leeb & Benedikt M. Pötscher, 2003. "Performance Limits for Estimators of the Risk or Distribution of Shrinkage-Type Estimators, and Some General Lower Risk-Bound Results," Vienna Economics Papers 0301, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Andrews, Donald W.K. & Guggenberger, Patrik, 2010. "Applications of subsampling, hybrid, and size-correction methods," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 158(2), pages 285-305, October.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Patrik Guggenberger, 2007. "Applications of Subsampling, Hybrid, and Size-Correction Methods," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1608, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Wolf, Michael & Romano, Joseph P. & Politis, Dimitris N., 1999. "On the asymptotic theory of subsampling," DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS 6334, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- Richard Samworth, 2003. "A note on methods of restoring consistency to the bootstrap," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 90(4), pages 985-990, December.
- Andrews, Donald W.K. & Guggenberger, Patrik, 2010. "ASYMPTOTIC SIZE AND A PROBLEM WITH SUBSAMPLING AND WITH THE m OUT OF n BOOTSTRAP," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(02), pages 426-468, April.
- Kabaila, Paul, 1995. "The Effect of Model Selection on Confidence Regions and Prediction Regions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(03), pages 537-549, June.
- Patrik Guggenberger, 2008. "The Impact of a Hausman Pretest on the Size of Hypothesis Tests," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1651, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Donald W. K. Andrews & Patrik Guggenberger, 2009. "Hybrid and Size-Corrected Subsampling Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 77(3), pages 721-762, 05.
- Anna Mikusheva, 2007. "Uniform Inference in Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(5), pages 1411-1452, 09. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)