An efficient branch-and-bound strategy for subset vector autoregressive model selection
A computationally efficient branch-and-bound strategy for finding the subsets of the most statistically significant variables of a vector autoregressive (VAR) model from a given search subspace is proposed. Specifically, the candidate submodels are obtained by deleting columns from the coefficient matrices of the full-specified VAR process. The strategy is based on a regression tree and derives the best-subset VAR models without computing the whole tree. The branch-and-bound cutting test is based on monotone statistical selection criteria which are functions of the determinant of the estimated residual covariance matrix. Experimental results confirm the computational efficiency of the proposed algorithm.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hofmann, Marc & Gatu, Cristian & Kontoghiorghes, Erricos John, 2007. "Efficient algorithms for computing the best subset regression models for large-scale problems," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 16-29, September.
- Dietmar Maringer & Peter Winker, 2004. "Optimal Lag Structure Selection in VEC-Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 155, Society for Computational Economics.
- Hirotugu Akaike, 1969. "Fitting autoregressive models for prediction," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 243-247, December.
- Paolo Foschi & Erricos J. Kontoghiorghes, 2003.
"Estimation of VAR Models: Computational Aspects,"
Society for Computational Economics, vol. 21(1_2), pages 3-22, 02.
- Gatu, Cristian & Kontoghiorghes, Erricos J., 2006. "Estimating all possible SUR models with permuted exogenous data matrices derived from a VAR process," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 721-739, May.
- Cristian Gatu & Erricos Kontoghiorghes, 2005. "Efficient strategies for deriving the subset VAR models," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 253-278, November.
- Erricos J. Kontoghiorghes, .
"Computing 3SLS Solutions of Simultaneous Equation Models with Possible Singular Variance-Covariance Matrix,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 1996
_032, Society for Computational Economics.
- Kontoghiorghes, Erricos J & Dinenis, Elias, 1997. "Computing 3SLS Solutions of Simultaneous Equation Models with a Possible Singular Variance-Covariance Matrix," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 10(3), pages 231-50, August.
- Kontoghiorghes, E. J. & Clarke, M. R. B., 1995. "An alternative approach for the numerical solution of seemingly unrelated regression equations models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 369-377, April.
- Winker, Peter, 1995.
"Identification of multivariate AR-models by threshold accepting,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 295-307, September.
- Winker, Peter, 1994. "Identification of multivariate AR-models by threshold accepting," Discussion Papers, Series II 224, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- repec:hal:journl:hal-00287137 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gatu, Cristian & Yanev, Petko I. & Kontoghiorghes, Erricos J., 2007. "A graph approach to generate all possible regression submodels," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 799-815, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:dyncon:v:32:y:2008:i:6:p:1949-1963. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.