Variable selection in quantile varying coefficient models with longitudinal data
In this paper, we develop a new variable selection procedure for quantile varying coefficient models with longitudinal data. The proposed method is based on basis function approximation and a class of group versions of the adaptive LASSO penalty, which penalizes the Lγ norm of the within-group coefficients with γ≥1. We show that with properly chosen adaptive group weights in the penalization, the resulting penalized estimators are consistent in variable selection, and the estimated functional coefficients retain the optimal convergence rate of nonparametric estimators under the true model. We assess the finite sample performance of the proposed procedure by an extensive simulation study, and the analysis of an AIDS data set and a yeast cell-cycle gene expression data set.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ming Yuan & Yi Lin, 2006. "Model selection and estimation in regression with grouped variables," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 68(1), pages 49-67.
- Wang, Hansheng & Leng, Chenlei, 2008. "A note on adaptive group lasso," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(12), pages 5277-5286, August.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Chiang C-T. & Rice J. A & Wu C. O, 2001. "Smoothing Spline Estimation for Varying Coefficient Models With Repeatedly Measured Dependent Variables," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 605-619, June.
- Lan Wang & Annie Qu, 2009. "Consistent model selection and data-driven smooth tests for longitudinal data in the estimating equations approach," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 71(1), pages 177-190.
- Wang, Lifeng & Li, Hongzhe & Huang, Jianhua Z., 2008. "Variable Selection in Nonparametric Varying-Coefficient Models for Analysis of Repeated Measurements," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103(484), pages 1556-1569.
- Zou, Hui, 2006. "The Adaptive Lasso and Its Oracle Properties," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 1418-1429, December.
- Jianqing Fan & Runze Li, 2004. "New Estimation and Model Selection Procedures for Semiparametric Modeling in Longitudinal Data Analysis," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 710-723, January.
- Hansheng Wang & Runze Li & Chih-Ling Tsai, 2007. "Tuning parameter selectors for the smoothly clipped absolute deviation method," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 94(3), pages 553-568.
- J. Fan & J.-T. Zhang, 2000. "Two-step estimation of functional linear models with applications to longitudinal data," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 62(2), pages 303-322.
- Jianhua Z. Huang, 2002. "Varying-coefficient models and basis function approximations for the analysis of repeated measurements," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(1), pages 111-128, March.
- Fan J. & Li R., 2001. "Variable Selection via Nonconcave Penalized Likelihood and its Oracle Properties," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 1348-1360, December.
- Lan Wang & Yichao Wu & Runze Li, 2012. "Quantile Regression for Analyzing Heterogeneity in Ultra-High Dimension," Journal of the American Statistical Association, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 107(497), pages 214-222, March.
- Machado, José A.F., 1993. "Robust Model Selection and M-Estimation," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(03), pages 478-493, June.
- Wang, Hansheng & Xia, Yingcun, 2009. "Shrinkage Estimation of the Varying Coefficient Model," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 104(486), pages 747-757.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:57:y:2013:i:1:p:435-449. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.