Λ-neighborhood wavelet shrinkage
We propose a wavelet-based denoising methodology based on total energy of a neighboring pair of coefficients plus their “parental” coefficient. The model is based on a Bayesian hierarchical model using a contaminated exponential prior on the total mean energy in a neighborhood of wavelet coefficients. The hyperparameters in the model are estimated by the empirical Bayes method, and the posterior mean, median and Bayes factor are obtained and used in the estimation of the total mean energy. Shrinkage of the neighboring coefficients are based on the ratio of the estimated and the observed energy. It is shown that the methodology is comparable and often superior to several existing and established wavelet denoising methods that utilize neighboring information, which is demonstrated by extensive simulations on a standard battery of test functions. An application to real-word data set from inductance plethysmography is also considered.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 57 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antoniadis, Anestis & Bigot, Jeremie & Sapatinas, Theofanis, 2001. "Wavelet Estimators in Nonparametric Regression: A Comparative Simulation Study," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 6(i06).
- Merlise Clyde & Edward I. George, 2000. "Flexible empirical Bayes estimation for wavelets," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 62(4), pages 681-698.
- Abramovich, Felix & Besbeas, Panagiotis & Sapatinas, Theofanis, 2002. "Empirical Bayes approach to block wavelet function estimation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 435-451, June.
- Piotr Fryzlewicz, 2007. "Bivariate hard thresholding in wavelet function estimation," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 25219, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Stuart Barber & Guy P. Nason, 2004. "Real nonparametric regression using complex wavelets," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 66(4), pages 927-939.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:57:y:2013:i:1:p:404-416. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.