Bayesian sample size determination for binary regression with a misclassified covariate and no gold standard
Covariate misclassification is a common problem in epidemiology, genetics, and other biomedical areas. Because this form of misclassification is known to bias estimators, accounting for it at the design stage is of high importance. In this paper, we extend on previous work applied to response misclassification by developing a Bayesian approach to sample size determination for a covariate misclassification model with no gold standard. Our procedure considers both conditionally independent tests and tests in which dependence exists between classifiers. We specifically consider a Bayesian power criterion for the sample size determination scheme, and we demonstrate the improvement in model power for our dual classifier approach compared to a naïve single classifier approach.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 56 (2012)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- van Wieringen, Wessel N., 2005. "On identifiability of certain latent class models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 75(3), pages 211-218, December.
- Nandini Dendukuri & Elham Rahme & Patrick Bélisle & Lawrence Joseph, 2004. "Bayesian Sample Size Determination for Prevalence and Diagnostic Test Studies in the Absence of a Gold Standard Test," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 60(2), pages 388-397, 06.
- Hironori Fujisawa & Shizue Izumi, 2000. "Inference about Misclassification Probabilities from Repeated Binary Responses," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 56(3), pages 706-711, 09.
- Dianxu Ren & Roslyn Stone, 2007. "A Bayesian Adjustment for Covariate Misclassification with Correlated Binary Outcome Data," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(9), pages 1019-1034.
- Nandini Dendukuri & Lawrence Joseph, 2001. "Bayesian Approaches to Modeling the Conditional Dependence Between Multiple Diagnostic Tests," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 57(1), pages 158-167, 03.
- Satoshi Morita & Peter F. Thall & Peter Müller, 2008. "Determining the Effective Sample Size of a Parametric Prior," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 595-602, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:56:y:2012:i:8:p:2574-2582. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.