Joint estimation of mean-covariance model for longitudinal data with basis function approximations
When the selected parametric model for the covariance structure is far from the true one, the corresponding covariance estimator could have considerable bias. To balance the variability and bias of the covariance estimator, we employ a nonparametric method. In addition, as different mean structures may lead to different estimators of the covariance matrix, we choose a semiparametric model for the mean so as to provide a stable estimate of the covariance matrix. Based on the modified Cholesky decomposition of the covariance matrix, we construct the joint mean-covariance model by modeling the smooth functions using the spline method and estimate the associated parameters using the maximum likelihood approach. A simulation study and a real data analysis are conducted to illustrate the proposed approach and demonstrate the flexibility of the suggested model.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fan, Jianqing & Huang, Tao & Li, Runze, 2007. "Analysis of Longitudinal Data With Semiparametric Estimation of Covariance Function," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 632-641, June.
- Xuming He, 2002. "Estimation in a semiparametric model for longitudinal data with unspecified dependence structure," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(3), pages 579-590, August.
- Zhongyi Zhu & Wing K. Fung & Xuming He, 2008. "On the asymptotics of marginal regression splines with longitudinal data," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 95(4), pages 907-917.
- He, Xuming & Fung, Wing K. & Zhu, Zhongyi, 2005. "Robust Estimation in Generalized Partial Linear Models for Clustered Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 1176-1184, December.
- Jianqing Fan & Runze Li, 2004. "New Estimation and Model Selection Procedures for Semiparametric Modeling in Longitudinal Data Analysis," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 710-723, January.
- Wei Biao Wu, 2003. "Nonparametric estimation of large covariance matrices of longitudinal data," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 90(4), pages 831-844, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:55:y:2011:i:2:p:983-992. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.