A Monte Carlo Comparison of Various Semiparametric Type-3 Tobit Estimators
This paper compares recently developed semiparametric estimators of Type-3 Tobit model using Monte Carlo simulations. In particular, we examine the finite sample performance of the recently proposed method by Li and Wooldridge and compare it to some alternative semiparametric estimators. Simulation results indicated that Li and Wooldridge (2002) estimator under the independence restriction compares well relative to other alternative estimators, especially when the sample size is small or the error distribution has a thick tail.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Gerfin, 1993.
"Parametric and Semiparametric Estimation of the Binary Response Model of Labor Market Participation,"
dp9315, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- Gerfin, Michael, 1996. "Parametric and Semi-parametric Estimation of the Binary Response Model of Labor Market Participation," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(3), pages 321-39, May-June.
- Li, Qi & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 2002. "Semiparametric Estimation Of Partially Linear Models For Dependent Data With Generated Regressors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(03), pages 625-645, June.
- Christofides, Louis N, et al, 2003. "Recent Two-Stage Sample Selection Procedures with an Application to the Gender Wage Gap," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(3), pages 396-405, July.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Bo E. Honore & Ekaterini Kyriazidou & Christopher Udry, .
"Estimation of Type 3 Tobit Models using Symmetric Trimming and Pairwise Comparisons,"
_001, Princeton University, Department of Economics.
- Honore, Bo E. & Kyriazidou, Ekaterini & Udry, Christopher, 1997. "Estimation of Type 3 Tobit models using symmetric trimming and pairwise comparisons," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1-2), pages 107-128.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1994. "A Simple Specification Test for the Predictive Ability of Transformation Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 59-65, February.
- Greene, William, 1998. "Sample selection in credit-scoring models1," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 299-316, July.
- Lee, Lung-fei, 1994.
"Semiparametric two-stage estimation of sample selection models subject to Tobit-type selection rules,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 305-344, April.
- Lee, L-F., 1990. "Semiparametric Two Stage Estimation of Sample Selection Models Subject to Tobit-Type Selection Rules," Papers 256, Minnesota - Center for Economic Research.
- McDonald, James B. & Xu, Yexiao J., 1996. "A comparison of semi-parametric and partially adaptive estimators of the censored regression model with possibly skewed and leptokurtic error distributions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 153-159, May.
- Hill, M Anne, 1983. "Female Labor Force Participation in Developing and Developed Countries-Consideration of the Informal Sector," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(3), pages 459-68, August.
- Connelly, Rachel, 1992. "The Effect of Child Care Costs on Married Women's Labor Force Participation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(1), pages 83-90, February.
- Powell, James L., 1984. "Least absolute deviations estimation for the censored regression model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 303-325, July.
- Van de Ven, Wynand P. M. M. & Van Praag, Bernard M. S., 1981. "The demand for deductibles in private health insurance : A probit model with sample selection," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 229-252, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cuf:journl:y:2003:v:4:i:1:p:125-136. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Qiang Gao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.