A Monte Carlo Comparison of Various Semiparametric Type-3 Tobit Estimators
This paper compares recently developed semiparametric estimators of Type-3 Tobit model using Monte Carlo simulations. In particular, we examine the finite sample performance of the recently proposed method by Li and Wooldridge and compare it to some alternative semiparametric estimators. Simulation results indicated that Li and Wooldridge (2002) estimator under the independence restriction compares well relative to other alternative estimators, especially when the sample size is small or the error distribution has a thick tail.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Connelly, Rachel, 1992. "The Effect of Child Care Costs on Married Women's Labor Force Participation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(1), pages 83-90, February.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521370905 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bo E. Honore & Ekaterini Kyriazidou & Christopher Udry, .
"Estimation of Type 3 Tobit Models using Symmetric Trimming and Pairwise Comparisons,"
_001, Princeton University, Department of Economics.
- Honore, Bo E. & Kyriazidou, Ekaterini & Udry, Christopher, 1997. "Estimation of Type 3 Tobit models using symmetric trimming and pairwise comparisons," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1-2), pages 107-128.
- Hill, M Anne, 1983. "Female Labor Force Participation in Developing and Developed Countries-Consideration of the Informal Sector," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(3), pages 459-68, August.
- Christofides, Louis N, et al, 2003. "Recent Two-Stage Sample Selection Procedures with an Application to the Gender Wage Gap," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(3), pages 396-405, July.
- Gerfin, Michael, 1996.
"Parametric and Semi-parametric Estimation of the Binary Response Model of Labor Market Participation,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(3), pages 321-39, May-June.
- Michael Gerfin, 1993. "Parametric and Semiparametric Estimation of the Binary Response Model of Labor Market Participation," Diskussionsschriften dp9315, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- McDonald, James B. & Xu, Yexiao J., 1996. "A comparison of semi-parametric and partially adaptive estimators of the censored regression model with possibly skewed and leptokurtic error distributions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 153-159, May.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1994. "A Simple Specification Test for the Predictive Ability of Transformation Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 59-65, February.
- Powell, James L., 1984. "Least absolute deviations estimation for the censored regression model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 303-325, July.
- Greene, William, 1998. "Sample selection in credit-scoring models1," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 299-316, July.
- Van de Ven, Wynand P. M. M. & Van Praag, Bernard M. S., 1981. "The demand for deductibles in private health insurance : A probit model with sample selection," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 229-252, November.
- Lee, L-F., 1990.
"Semiparametric Two Stage Estimation of Sample Selection Models Subject to Tobit-Type Selection Rules,"
256, Minnesota - Center for Economic Research.
- Lee, Lung-fei, 1994. "Semiparametric two-stage estimation of sample selection models subject to Tobit-type selection rules," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 305-344, April.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521424318 is not listed on IDEAS
- Li, Qi & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 2002. "Semiparametric Estimation Of Partially Linear Models For Dependent Data With Generated Regressors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(03), pages 625-645, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cuf:journl:y:2003:v:4:i:1:p:125-136. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Qiang Gao)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.