Reframing Garbage: Solid Waste Policy Formulation in Nova Scotia
A series of powerful focusing events established solid waste as a national problem in Canada and a provincial and local problem in Nova Scotia. The traditional approach, expanding and improving disposal options, was rejected at the provincial and local levels. Instead, both levels simultaneously developed and implemented policies that focused on maximizing the recovery of solid waste. In both cases, crucial to policy adoption was the reframing of solid waste from a useless by-product to a valuable economic resource. This reframing was the result of the intervention of powerful policy actors, environmental justice concerns, media attention, a n d the sustained presence of the issue on the agenda. This case study provides important lessons to governments interested in developing an alternative policy for solid waste other than the traditional disposalreliance paradigm.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 33 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://economics.ca/cpp/Email:
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.utpjournals.com/cpp/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald N. Dewees & Michael J. Hare, 1998. "Economic Analysis of Packaging Waste Reduction," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 24(4), pages 453-470, December.
- Clark A. Miller, 2000. "The Dynamics of Framing Environmental Values and Policy: Four Models of Societal Processes," Environmental Values, White Horse Press, vol. 9(2), pages 211-233, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpp:issued:v:33:y:2007:i:4:p:459-476. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.