A Non-Parametric Investigation of Risk Premia
This paper studies determinants of risk premia using a non-parametric term-structure model of the corporate spread. The model, which measures the extra return of defaultable corporate bonds on their government counterparts, involves the rate of inflation, a key macroeconomic variable that is found to explain the spread non-linearly. This study shows that non-linear methods are useful to investigate features of credit risk and that they give better results than their linear counterparts, enabling testing of affine term-structure specifications. The paper also shows how the non-linear model can be used to forecast the future course of the spread.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 13 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/snde|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duffee, Gregory R, 1999.
"Estimating the Price of Default Risk,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(1), pages 197-226.
- repec:cep:stiecm:/2000/386 is not listed on IDEAS
- Edwin J. Elton, 2001. "Explaining the Rate Spread on Corporate Bonds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(1), pages 247-277, 02.
- Ang, Andrew & Piazzesi, Monika, 2003.
"A no-arbitrage vector autoregression of term structure dynamics with macroeconomic and latent variables,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 745-787, May.
- Andrew Ang & Monika Piazzesi, 2001. "A No-Arbitrage Vector Autoregression of Term Structure Dynamics with Macroeconomic and Latent Variables," NBER Working Papers 8363, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ahn, Dong-Hyun & Gao, Bin, 1999. "A Parametric Nonlinear Model of Term Structure Dynamics," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(4), pages 721-62.
- Manuel Arapis & Jiti Gao, 2006.
"Empirical Comparisons in Short-Term Interest Rate Models Using Nonparametric Methods,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(2), pages 310-345.
- Arapis, Manuel & Gao, Jiti, 2004. "Empirical comparisons in short-term interest rate models using nonparametric methods," MPRA Paper 11974, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 23 Dec 2005.
- De Gooijer, Jan G. & Hyndman, Rob J., 2006. "25 years of time series forecasting," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 443-473.
- Enno Mammen & Oliver Linton & J Nielsen, 2000.
"The existence and asymptotic properties of a backfitting projection algorithm under weak conditions,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2315, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Oliver Linton & E. Mammen & J. Nielsen, 1999. "The existence and asymptotic properties of a backfitting projection algorithm under weak conditions," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 300, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Oliver Linton & Enno Mammen & N Nielsen, 2000. "The Existence and Asymptotic Properties of a Backfitting Projection Algorithm under Weak Conditions," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series 386, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Oliver Linton & E. Mammen & J. Nielsen, 1997. "The Existence and Asymptotic Properties of a Backfitting Projection Algorithm Under Weak Conditions," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1160, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 1996.
"Nonparametric Pricing of Interest Rate Derivative Securities,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 527-60, May.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 1995. "Nonparametric Pricing of Interest Rate Derivative Securities," NBER Working Papers 5345, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gregory R. Duffee, 1998. "The Relation Between Treasury Yields and Corporate Bond Yield Spreads," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(6), pages 2225-2241, December.
- Duffie, Darrell & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1999. "Modeling Term Structures of Defaultable Bonds," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(4), pages 687-720.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:sndecm:v:13:y:2009:i:4:n:2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.