Growth, Distribution, Stability and Government Budget Surplus: The Extended Cambridge Equation Revisited
In the late 80’s Pasinetti showed that the essential feature of the Cambridge Equation is preserved in his model of growth and income distribution with balanced or unbalanced budget. He did not work out both the share of incomes and the conditions of stability and was not formally concerned with a permanent budget surplus. The present paper deals with the case of a closed economy in which, besides direct taxation, indirect taxation on government’s own expenditures is explicitly considered and the government saves permanently at a given rate. The extended Cambridge Equation and the share of profits are obtained. It is also shown that the stability result requires additional assumptions. Boundary conditions are introduced and the long-run local stability result is attained, thus corroborating the generality and robustness of Pasinetti’s original insight.
Volume (Year): 10 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.anpec.org.br/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Secretaria da ANPEC Rua Tiradentes, 17 - Ingá Niterói, RJ 24210-510 Brazil|
Web: http://www.anpec.org.br/revista/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Faria, Joao Ricardo & Teixeira, Joanilio Rodolpho, 1999. "Growth and Stability in a Model with Pasinettian Saving Behaviour and Neoclassical Technology," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 67(1), pages 111-21, January.
- Pasinetti, Luigi L, 1989. "Ricardian Debt/Taxation Equivalence in the Kaldor Theory of Profits and Income Distribution," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(1), pages 25-36, March.
- Barro, Robert J., 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
3451399, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521096720 is not listed on IDEAS
- G. C. Harcourt, 1981. "Introduction," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 3(2), pages 155-157, January.
- Steedman, Ian, 1972. "The State and the Outcome of the Pasinetti Process," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(328), pages 1387-95, December.
- Amit Bhaduri, 2008. "On the dynamics of profit-led and wage-led growth," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(1), pages 147-160, January.
- Leoncini Riccardo & Montresor Sandro & Vertova Giovanna, 2006. "Dynamic Capabilities between Firm Organization and Local Development: A Critical Survey," Economia politica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 475-502.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:anp:econom:v:10:y:2009:i:2:239-251. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hugo E. A. da Gama Cerqueira)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.