A Model Of Job Choice For The Analysis Of Government Intervention In Structural Adjustment
The paper presents a model of choice between alternative available jobs in which each job has an uncertain multi-period income prospect. Imperfectly informed expectations as well as job preferences and attitudes to risk determine the choice. The model is used to locate and discuss some problems of designing government programs which are intended to increase job mobility. The main conclusion is that government interventions may impose costs on the economy which are greater than the benefits because the information needed to assess costs and benefits is not generally available and political pressures may distort the expenditures.
Volume (Year): 24 (1980)
Issue (Month): 02 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fisher, Anthony C, 1969. "The Cost of the Draft and the Cost of Ending the Draft," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(3), pages 239-54, June.
- Chipman, John S & Moore, James C, 1976. "Why an Increase in GNP Need Not Imply an Improvement in Potential Welfare," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(3), pages 391-418.
- Pissarides, Christopher A, 1976. "Job Search and Participation," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 43(169), pages 33-49, February.
- Kohn, Meir G. & Shavell, Steven, 1974. "The theory of search," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 93-123, October.
- Salop, S C, 1973. "Systematic Job Search and Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 191-201, April.
- Lippman, Steven A & McCall, John J, 1976. "The Economics of Job Search: A Survey: Part I," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 14(2), pages 155-89, June.
- Lippman, Steven A & McCall, John J, 1976. "The Economics of Job Search: A Survey," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 14(3), pages 347-68, September.
- Kennedy, Jim, 1977. "The Process Of Farmer Adjustment," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 45(04), December.
- P. J. Lloyd, 1978. "International Pressures And Structural Change In Australia: An Overview," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 1(59), pages 78-90, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ajaeau:22768. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.