Contact information of Elsevier:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev
Download restrictions: Full text for ScienceDirect subscribers only
For corrections or technical questions regarding this series, please contact (Wendy Shamier)
Series handle: repec:eee:wdevel
Citations RSS feed: at CitEc
Impact factors: Simple, Recursive, Discounted, Recursive discounted, H-Index, Aggregate
Access and download statistics
Top item: By citations. By downloads (last 12 months).
1991, Volume 19, Issue 8
- 1007-1028 Household shelter strategies in comparative perspective: Evidence from low-income groups in Bamako and La Paz
by Van Lindert, Paul & Van Westen, August
- 1029-1044 Education and economic growth in Taiwan: A case of successful planning
by Hay Woo, Jennie
- 1045-1054 The impact of Iran's islamic revolution on health personnel policy
by Malek, M.
- 1055-1073 Technology transfer and the development of China's offshore oil industry
by Warhurst, Alyson
- 1075-1093 Poverty and the forward-falling labor supply function: A microeconomic analysis
by Sharif, Mohammed
- 1095-1105 The fungibility of US assistance to developing countries and the impact on recipient expanditures: a case study of Pakistan
by Khilji, Nasir M. & Zampelli, Ernest M.
- 1107-1116 An aggregate private expenditure function for the Bangladesh economy
by Hossain, Akhtar
- 1117-1120 Deserved debt relief: a note
by Giehm Mikkelsen, Jan
1991, Volume 19, Issue 7
- 749-761 The Public-Private choice: The case of marketing a country to investors
by Wells, Louis Jr. & Wint, Alvin G.
- 763-777 Legal process and economic development: A case study of Indonesia
by Gray, Cheryl W.
- 779-789 The urban subsistence labor force: Toward a policy-oriented and empirically accessible taxonomy
by Cole, William E. & Fayissa, Bichaka
- 791-803 Asian urban development policies in the 1990s: From growth control to urban diffusion
by Rondinelli, Dennis A.
- 805-820 A reassessment of the causes and severity of Nepal's environmental crisis
by Metz, John J.
- 821-829 Brazilian policies that encourage deforestation in the Amazon
by Binswanger, Hans P.
- 831-838 Parastatal pay policy in Africa
by Lindauer, David L.
- 839-849 Understanding the failure of IMF reform: The Zambian case
by Hawkins, Jeffrey Jr.
- 851-865 External shocks and adjustment in a mineral dependent economy: A short-run model for Zambia
by Kayizzi-Mugerwa, Steve
- 867-884 The nature and determinants of socioeconomic inequality among peasant households in Southern Sudan
by House, William J.
- 885-901 Newly and lately industrializing exporters: LDC manufactured exports to the United States, 1977-1984
by Alger, Keith
- 903-914 The accumulation of technology: Capital goods production in developing countries revisited
by Baark, Erik
- 915-919 The Cuban sugar export dependency question: Premises and controversy
by Radell, Willard Jr.
- 921-926 The significance of access to land as a determinant of Kenya's interregional migration
by Rodgers, William M.
1991, Volume 19, Issue 6
- 569-594 How significant are externalities for development?
by Stewart, Frances & Ghani, Ejaz
- 595-605 A proposal for using incentive precommitments in public enterprise funding
by Kumar Sah, Raaj & Weitsman, Martin L.
- 607-621 Sustainable development: A critical review
by Lele, Sharachchandra M.
- 623-636 Regulation with growth: The political economy of palm oil in Malaysia
by Pletcher, James
- 637-649 Economic reform and armed conflict in Mozambique
by Kyle, Steven
- 651-670 A reassessment of Kenya's rural and urban informal sector
by Livingstone, Ian
- 671-682 Workers' response to job loss: Female and male industrial workers in Brazil
by Hirata, Helena & Humphrey, John
- 683-696 Profits from self-employment: The case of Cote d'Ivoire
by Vijverberg, Wim P. M.
- 697-703 Institutional linkages for different types of agricultural technologies: Rice in the Eastern Plains of Colombia
by Alfonso Agudelo, Luis & Kaimowitz, David
- 705-709 An examination of the objectives of monetary policy in four developing economies
by Joyce, Joseph P.
- 711-717 Dutch disease economics and oil syndrome: An empirical study
by Fardmanesh, Mohsen
- 719-727 Income convergence and divergence within and between LDC groups
by Zind, Richard G.
- 729-733 Effects of exchange rate variability on inflation variability
by Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen
- 735-740 The Bertrand critique of the role of the United Nations in the economic and social fields
by Dell, Sidney S.
1991, Volume 19, Issue 5
- 399-409 Life in a dual system revisited: Urban-rural ties in Enugu, Nigeria, 1961-87
by Gugler, Josef
- 411-434 Adjustment and development in Latin America: The failure of Peruvian Heterodoxy, 1985-90
by Paus, Eva A.
- 435-455 Poverty and distorted industrialization in the Brazilian Northeast
by Goldsmith, William W. & Wilson, Robert
- 457-483 Toward development ethics
by Crocker, David A.
- 485-496 Open borders: A global-humanist approach to the refugee crisis
by Gurtov, Mel
- 497-510 Official finance requirements in the 1990s
by Lensink, Robert & Van Bergeijk, Peter A. G.
- 511-532 Capital market development in China
by Tam, On Kit
- 533-538 Money creation and financial liberalization in a socialist banking system: Tanzania 1983-88
by Collier, Paul & Gunning, Jan Willem
- 539-551 GSTP tariff reduction and its effects on south-south trade in manufactures
by Linnemann, Hans & Verbruggen, Harmen
- 553-568 Technology exports from a small, very open NIC: The case of Singapore
by Hill, Hal & Pang Eng Fong
1991, Volume 19, Issue 4
- 287-300 Development narratives, or making the best of blueprint development
by Roe, Emery M.
- 301-316 Depopulating the compounds: Migrant labor and mine housing in South Africa
by Crush, Jonathan & James, Wilmot
- 317-332 Global trends in real exchange rates 1960-1984
by Wood, Adrian
- 333-340 Manufactured exports of developing countries and their terms of trade since 1965
by Sarkar, Prabirjit & Singer, H. W.
- 341-347 Foreign exchange and industrial development: A frontier production function analysis of two Tanzanian industries
by Mbelle, Ammon & Sterner, Thomas
- 349-362 Licensing in a newly industrializing country: The case of Greek manufacturing
by Giannitsis, Tassos
- 363-374 The strategic orientations of firms and the performance of Korea and Taiwan in frontier industries: Lessons from comparative case studies of keyboard and personal computer assembly
by Levy, Brian & Kuo, Wen-Jeng
- 375-397 Semiconductor technology and the newly industrializing countries: The diffusion of ASICs (Application Specific Integrated Circuits)
by Hobday, Michael
1991, Volume 19, Issue 2-3
- 137-161 Pockets of peasants in Indonesian cities: The case of scavengers
by Sicular, Daniel T.
- 163-177 Female wage labor in rural Zimbabwe
by Adams, Jennifer M.
- 179-198 A study of water vending and willingness to pay for water in Onitsha, Nigeria
by Whittington, Dale & Lauria, Donald T. & Mu, Xinming
- 199-211 Grass-roots development in rural Thailand: A lost cause?
by Rigg, Jonathan
- 213-223 Examining the roots of educational demand: The case supporting rural agrarian development
by Hughes, Rees
- 225-243 Classical political economists and Marx on colonialism and "backward' nations
by Larrain, Jorge
- 245-254 Debt, deficits and dollars: The world economy in 3-D
by Bird, Graham
- 255-262 The "Gulliver effect" and the "optimal divergence" approach to trade policies: The case of nepal
by Blejer, Mario I. & Szapary, Gyorgy
- 263-273 Convergence of South Korean productivity on West German levels, 1966-1978
by Dollar, David
- 275-285 Determinants of foreign direct investment in Taiwan: An alternative approach with time-series data
by Tsai, Pan-Long
1991, Volume 19, Issue 1
- 1-15 Introduction
by Goodwin, Neva R.
- 17-30 The integrative revolution revisited
by Hoben, Allan & Hefner, Robert
- 31-44 The breakdown of connections and modern development
by Mazlish, Bruce
- 45-54 Global development and personal dependency: The high cost of doing well
by Meyers, Allan R.
- 55-64 The new global players: How they compete and collaborate
by Morss, Elliott R.
- 65-71 The third sector in the second world
by Starr, Frederick
- 73-84 Global equity and environmental crisis: An argument for reducing working hours in the North
by Schor, Juliet B.
- 85-102 Lessons for the world from US agriculture: Unbundling technology
by Goodwin, Neva R.
- 103-110 Protecting the global environment: An immodest proposal
by Dorfman, Robert
- 111-122 Global institutions and ecological crisis
by M. Harris, Jonathan
- 123-133 Global prospects in an interdependent world
by Streeten, Paul
1990, Volume 18, Issue 12
- 1599-1619 The demo-economic impact of the AIDS pandemic in sub-Saharan Africa
by Becker, Charles M.
- 1621-1634 Structural adjustment in Africa: Insights from the experiences of Ghana and Senegal
by Weissman, Stephen R.
- 1635-1653 The impact of export crop production on nutritional status in Cote d'Ivoire
by Sahn, David E.
- 1655-1669 The secondary market and the international debt problem
by Anayiotos, George & de Pinies, Jaime
- 1671-1677 The debt laffer curve: Some estimates
by Claessens, Stijn
- 1679-1691 Transideological collaboration and East-West- South economic relations
by Berrios, Ruben
- 1693-1701 Science and technology in India's search for a sustainable and equitable future
by Parthasarathi, Ashok
- 1703-1710 The next plan after Brady?
by Faber, Mike
1990, Volume 18, Issue 11
- 1429-1443 Science, technology, and policy in the periphery: A perspective from the centre
by Rath, Amitav
- 1445-1456 Choice of technique revisited: A critical review of the theoretical underpinnings
by Egea, Alejandro Nadal
- 1457-1469 Technical change in Latin American manufacturing firms: Review and synthesis
by Herbert-Copley, Brent
- 1471-1480 Technology policy in sub-Saharan Africa: Why the dream remains unfulfilled
by Vitta, Paul B.
- 1481-1499 A multiple source of innovation model of agricultural research and technology promotion
by Biggs, Stephen D.
- 1501-1511 Technological capacity and aborted industrialization in Ghana: The case of Bonsa Tyre Company
by Adei, Stephen
- 1513-1528 Technical change and industrial policy: The case of truck manufacturing in Turkey
by Ansal, Hacer K.
- 1529-1542 Canadian technology transfer to developing countries through small and medium-size enterprises
by Niosi, Jorge & Rivard, Jacques
- 1543-1553 O inventamos o erramos: The power of science in Latin America
by Vessuri, Hebe M. C.
- 1555-1567 From standardization to relevance and back again: Science and technology indicators in small, peripheral countries
by Argenti, Gisela & Filgueira, Carlos & Sutz, Judith
- 1569-1585 Environmental and technological degradation in peasant agriculture: A consequence of development in Mexico
by Garcia-Barrio, Raul & Garcia-Barrios, Luis
- 1587-1598 Software industry: An opportunity for Latin America?
by Maria Correa, Carlos
1990, Volume 18, Issue 10
- 1309-1323 How beautiful is small? Scale, control and success in Kenyan irrigation
by Adams, W. M.
- 1325-1342 Economic crisis, adjustment and living standards in Mexico, 1982-85
by Lustig, Nora
- 1343-1350 An overview of Turkey's experience with economic liberalization and structural adjustment
by Aricanli, Tosun & Rodrik, Dani
- 1351-1362 Technology and exports: The case of the Turkish manufacturing industries
by Kirim, Arman
- 1363-1378 An updating country study: Thailand's needs and prospects in the 1990s
by Lewis, John P. & Kapur, Devesh
- 1379-1400 Transfers, secular deflation, and the enigma of the Indian economy, 1860-1900
by Banerji, Arun Kumar
- 1401-1411 Paraprojects as new modes of international development assistance
by Uphoff, Norman
- 1413-1419 Feasible planning in a poor country: A Utopian postscript to a country case study
by Coulson, Andrew
- 1421-1427 Book note
by Gran, Guy
1990, Volume 18, Issue 9
- 1191-1205 Smokestacks in the rainforest: Industrial development and deforestation in the Amazon basin
by Anderson, Anthony B.
- 1207-1219 Structural adjustment, agricultural development and the poor: Some lessons from the Malawian experience
by Lele, Uma
- 1221-1230 Growth of the capital goods sector in India after the mid-1960s: An alternative view
by Pradhan, Gopinath
- 1231-1246 Guinea: The significance of the coup of April 1984 and economic issues
by Yansane, Aguibou Y.
- 1247-1247 Special section: Economic development--lessons from industrialized countries
by Streeten, Paul P.
- 1249-1253 How economic institutions affect economic performance in industrialized countries: Lessons for development
by Doeringer, Peter B. & Streeten, Paul P.
- 1255-1272 Cumulative or comparative advantage? British competitiveness in the early 20th century
by Elbaum, Bernard
- 1273-1294 The subcontracting behavior of single vs. multiplant enterprises in US manufacturing: Implications for economic development
by Kelley, Maryellen R. & Harrison, Bennett
- 1295-1308 How intangible factors contribute to economic development: Lessons from a mature local economy
by Doeringer, Peter B. & Terkla, David G.
1990, Volume 18, Issue 8
- 1057-1079 Investment and economic growth
by Anderson, Dennis
- 1081-1095 The concept of the agricultural surplus
by Morrisson, Christian & Thorbecke, Erik
- 1097-1110 Rural-urban disparities in India and China
by Bhalla, A. S.
- 1111-1118 Some economic determinants of Third World professional immigration to the United States: 1972-87
by MacPhee, Craig R. & Hassan, M. K.
- 1119-1122 The case against "one thing at a time"
by Hirschman, Albert O.
- 1123-1131 Economic policy reform in developing countries: The role and management of political factors
by Bery, Suman K.
- 1133-1146 Political explanations of macroeconomic management: A survey
by Whitehead, Laurence
- 1147-1161 Who makes economic policy in Africa and how?
by Gulhati, Ravi
- 1163-1181 After the decision: Implementing policy reforms in developing countries
by Thomas, John W. & Grindle, Merilee S.
- 1183-1190 Book notes
by Gran, Guy
1990, Volume 18, Issue 7
- 933-947 How should structural adjustment programs be designed?
by Rodrik, Dani
- 949-958 The structural adjustment of politics in Africa
by Herbst, Jeffrey
- 959-974 IMF conditionality: Coercion or compromise?
by Stiles, Kendall W.
- 975-988 Enhancing the attractiveness of the SDR
by Coats, Warren Jr.
- 989-1002 Defining and estimating underground and informal economies: The new institutional economics approach
by Feige, Edgar L.
- 1003-1014 Internal adjustments to falling civil service salaries: Insights from Uganda
by Chew, David C. E.
- 1015-1029 Collaborative sector analysis: A foreign assistance technique for improving LDC sector management
by Robinson, Brandon
- 1031-1037 Gunnar Myrdal
by Streeten, Paul
- 1039-1043 Sir John Hicks as a development economist
by Meier, Gerald M.
- 1045-1050 Colin Clark as a development economist
by Arndt, H. W.
1990, Volume 18, Issue 6
- 769-783 Long-term growth in developing countries and its determinants: An empirical analysis
by Otani, Ichiro & Villanueva, Delano
- 785-801 Government support for economic agendas in developing countries: A behavioral model
by Saeed, Khalid
- 803-814 Identifying the poor in developing countries: Do different definitions matter?
by Glewwe, Paul & van der Gaag, Jacques
- 815-830 Structural adjustment under the extended fund facility: The case of Bangladesh
by Matin, K. M.
- 831-835 Exports and economic growth: The African case
by Fosu, Augustin Kwasi
- 837-844 Rural inequality and rural-push versus urban-pull migration: The case of Iran, 1956-1976
by Mohtadi, Hamid
- 845-858 CARICOM countries and appropriate technology
by Griffith, Winston H.
- 859-859 Symposium on medium-term development strategy
by Taylor, Lance
- 861-878 The state and industrial strategy
by Shapiro, Helen & Taylor, Lance
- 879-897 Trade strategy in medium-term adjustment
by Helleiner, G. K.
- 899-913 Agricultural performance and development strategy: Retrospect and prospect
by Mohan Rao, J. & Caballero, Jose Maria
- 915-930 Sectoral balance in development: A survey
by Dutt, Amitava Krishna
1990, Volume 18, Issue 5
- 623-639 Post-Marxism and development studies: Beyond the impasse
by Corbridge, Stuart
- 641-657 Work force fragmentation in Latin America and its empirical manifestations in Ecuador
by Lawson, Victoria A.
- 659-671 Land registration in Africa: The impact on agricultural production
by Atwood, David A.
- 673-693 The impact of decentralization on spatial equity and rural development in Tanzania
by Maro, Paul S.
- 695-705 Sex differences in access to a small enterprise development fund in Peru
by Buvinic, Mayra & Berger, Marguerite
- 707-721 Chinese reforms, inflation and the allocation of investment in a socialist economy
by Yenal, Oktay
- 723-732 New directions or not: USAID in Latin America
by Gang, Ira N. & Lehman, James A.
- 733-742 Education and child mortality in Egypt
by Aly, Hassan Y. & Grabowski, Richard
- 743-752 Flow-of-funds model as a tool for analyzing budgetary behavior of Nigerian state governments: Evidence from the civilian era
by Odedokun, M. O.
- 753-758 Oil exports, agriculture and growth prospects of the Nigerian economy: A macroeconomic analysis
by Oshikoya, Waheed T.
- 759-768 Monetary coordination among the gulf cooperation council countries
by Zaidi, Iqbal
1990, Volume 18, Issue 4
- 505-512 Decentralization of China's electricity sector: Is small beautiful?
by Wirtshafter, Robert M. & Shih, Ed
- 513-527 On fuelwood consumption, population dynamics and deforestation in Africa
by Cline-Cole, R. A. & Main, H. A. C. & Nichol, J. E.
- 529-538 Energy diagnosis: Toward a policy-oriented approach for energy planning in developing countries
by de Oliveira, Adilson & Girod, Jacques
- 539-553 The diffusion of energy technology in the rural areas of developing countries: A synthesis of recent experience
by Barnett, Andrew
- 555-563 Diffusion and innovation in the Chinese biogas program
by Daxiong, Qiu & Shuhua, Gu & Baofen, Liange & Gehua, Wang
- 565-574 Promoting rural energy technology: The case of gasifiers in the Philippines
by Bernardo, Francisco P. & Kilayko, Gregorio U.
- 575-590 Diffusion of renewable energy technologies in developing countries: A case study of biogas engines in India
by Bhatia, Ramesh
- 591-604 A method for the appraisal of alternative electricity supply options applied to the rural areas of Misiones Province, Argentina
by Muguerza, Daniel & Bouille, Daniel & Barney, Erik
- 605-615 Establishing new markets for mature energy equipment in developing countries: Experience with windmills, hydro-powered mills and solar water heaters
by Hurst, Christopher
1990, Volume 18, Issue 3
- 347-360 The role of traditional institutions in rural development: Community-based land tenure and government land policy in Sarawak, Malaysia
by Cramb, R. A. & Wills, I. R.
- 361-370 Causes of multiproduct production: The case of the engineering industries in developing countries
by Prendergast, Renee
- 371-381 Imports of technology and the technological effort of Indian enterprises
by Katrak, Homi
- 383-391 Incentive policies and export performance in sub-Saharan Africa
by Balassa, Bela
- 393-415 Brazil's agrarian structure: Changes from 1970 through 1980
by Thiesenhusen, William C. & Melmed-Sanjak, Jolyne
- 417-429 TNCs, intervening mechanisms and economic growth in Ireland: A longitudinal test and extension of the Bornschier model
by O'Hearn, Denis
- 431-442 Some determinants of foreign aid to India, 1960-1985
by Gang, Ira N. & Khan, Haider Ali
- 443-453 The determinants of infant mortality in regional India
by Beenstock, Michael & Sturdy, Patricia
- 455-476 An economic analysis of small-scale technologies for palm oil extraction in Central and West Africa
by Hyman, Eric L.
- 477-480 McKinnon-Shaw versus the neostructuralists on financial liberalization: A conceptual note
by Cho, Yoon Je
- 481-489 The German version of Keynes' essay on "national Self-Sufficiency" 1933: A case of cooperative self-censorship
by Borchardt, Knut
- 491-495 Famine and the two faces of entitlement: A comment on Sen
by Woldemeskel, Getachew
1990, Volume 18, Issue 2
- 165-181 Urbanization revisited: Inner-city slum of hope and squatter settlement of despair
by Eckstein, Susan
- 183-195 Land consolidation as land reform, in India
by Oldenburg, Philip
- 197-213 Postimperialism revisited: The Venezuelan wheat import controversy of 1986
by Stander, Henricus III & Becker, David G.
- 215-229 Industrialization and employment: Changes in the patterns of women's work in Puerto Rico
by Del Alba Acevedo, Luz
- 231-255 A comparative study of national price levels, agricultural prices and exchange rates
by Rao, D. S. Prasada & Shepherd, W. F. & Sharma, K. C.
- 257-267 Entrepreneurship and rural industrialization: Comparing urban and rural patterns of locational choice in Israel
by Bar-El, Raphael & Felsenstein, Daniel
- 269-280 Calculating the value of time spent collecting water: Some estimates for Ukunda, Kenya
by Whittington, Dale & Mu, Xinming & Roche, Robert
- 281-299 Evaluating demand for calories for urban and rural populations in the Philippines: Implications for nutrition policy under economic recovery
by Bouis, Howarth E.
- 301-311 Applying chapter 9 insolvency to international debts: An economically efficient solution with a human face
by Raffer, Kunibert
- 313-324 The effect of exchange rate variability on trade: The case of the West African Monetary Union's imports
by Medhora, Rohinton
- 325-332 Unorganized loan markets and monetary policy instruments
by Shahin, Wassim N.
- 333-346 The catalyst model of development: Lessons from Bangladesh's success with garment exports
by Rhee, Yung Whee
1990, Volume 18, Issue 1
- 1-18 Capital flight from Latin America
by Pastor, Manuel Jr.
- 19-27 Private investment and economic growth in developing countries
by Khan, Mohsin S. & Reinhart, Carmen M.
- 29-48 Purchasing power parities and Phase IV of the International Comparison Project: Do they lead to "real" estimates of GDP and its components?
by Lancieri, Elio
- 49-60 Implementing economic policy reforms: Policies and opportunities for donors
by White, Louise G.
- 61-75 Decentralization in Nepal
by Bienen, Henry & Kapur, Devesh & Parks, James & Riedinger, Jeffrey
- 77-89 A comparative analysis of the use of information inputs in the manufacturing sectors of Korea and Japan
by Engelbrecht, Hans-Jurgen
- 91-107 Overcoming technological dependency: The case of Electric Arc (Jamaica) Ltd., a small firm in a small developing country
by Girvan, Norman P. & Marcelle, Gillian
- 109-123 Flexible specialization and small size: The case of Caribbean tourism
by Poon, Auliana
- 125-135 The size of the informal sector in Peru: A critical comment on Hernando de Soto's El Otro Sendero
by Rossini, R. G. & Thomas, J. J.
- 147-153 Village communities, cooperation, and inequality in Tanzania: Comments on Collier et al
by Putterman, Louis
- 155-161 Book notes
by Gran, Guy