Contact information of Elsevier:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev
Download restrictions: Full text for ScienceDirect subscribers only
For corrections or technical questions regarding this series, please contact (Wendy Shamier)
Series handle: repec:eee:wdevel
Citations RSS feed: at CitEc
Impact factors: Simple, Recursive, Discounted, Recursive discounted, H-Index, Aggregate
Access and download statistics
Top item: By citations. By downloads (last 12 months).
1990, Volume 18, Issue 5
- 723-732 New directions or not: USAID in Latin America
by Gang, Ira N. & Lehman, James A.
- 733-742 Education and child mortality in Egypt
by Aly, Hassan Y. & Grabowski, Richard
- 743-752 Flow-of-funds model as a tool for analyzing budgetary behavior of Nigerian state governments: Evidence from the civilian era
by Odedokun, M. O.
- 753-758 Oil exports, agriculture and growth prospects of the Nigerian economy: A macroeconomic analysis
by Oshikoya, Waheed T.
- 759-768 Monetary coordination among the gulf cooperation council countries
by Zaidi, Iqbal
1990, Volume 18, Issue 4
- 505-512 Decentralization of China's electricity sector: Is small beautiful?
by Wirtshafter, Robert M. & Shih, Ed
- 513-527 On fuelwood consumption, population dynamics and deforestation in Africa
by Cline-Cole, R. A. & Main, H. A. C. & Nichol, J. E.
- 529-538 Energy diagnosis: Toward a policy-oriented approach for energy planning in developing countries
by de Oliveira, Adilson & Girod, Jacques
- 539-553 The diffusion of energy technology in the rural areas of developing countries: A synthesis of recent experience
by Barnett, Andrew
- 555-563 Diffusion and innovation in the Chinese biogas program
by Daxiong, Qiu & Shuhua, Gu & Baofen, Liange & Gehua, Wang
- 565-574 Promoting rural energy technology: The case of gasifiers in the Philippines
by Bernardo, Francisco P. & Kilayko, Gregorio U.
- 575-590 Diffusion of renewable energy technologies in developing countries: A case study of biogas engines in India
by Bhatia, Ramesh
- 591-604 A method for the appraisal of alternative electricity supply options applied to the rural areas of Misiones Province, Argentina
by Muguerza, Daniel & Bouille, Daniel & Barney, Erik
- 605-615 Establishing new markets for mature energy equipment in developing countries: Experience with windmills, hydro-powered mills and solar water heaters
by Hurst, Christopher
1990, Volume 18, Issue 3
- 347-360 The role of traditional institutions in rural development: Community-based land tenure and government land policy in Sarawak, Malaysia
by Cramb, R. A. & Wills, I. R.
- 361-370 Causes of multiproduct production: The case of the engineering industries in developing countries
by Prendergast, Renee
- 371-381 Imports of technology and the technological effort of Indian enterprises
by Katrak, Homi
- 383-391 Incentive policies and export performance in sub-Saharan Africa
by Balassa, Bela
- 393-415 Brazil's agrarian structure: Changes from 1970 through 1980
by Thiesenhusen, William C. & Melmed-Sanjak, Jolyne
- 417-429 TNCs, intervening mechanisms and economic growth in Ireland: A longitudinal test and extension of the Bornschier model
by O'Hearn, Denis
- 431-442 Some determinants of foreign aid to India, 1960-1985
by Gang, Ira N. & Khan, Haider Ali
- 443-453 The determinants of infant mortality in regional India
by Beenstock, Michael & Sturdy, Patricia
- 455-476 An economic analysis of small-scale technologies for palm oil extraction in Central and West Africa
by Hyman, Eric L.
- 477-480 McKinnon-Shaw versus the neostructuralists on financial liberalization: A conceptual note
by Cho, Yoon Je
- 481-489 The German version of Keynes' essay on "national Self-Sufficiency" 1933: A case of cooperative self-censorship
by Borchardt, Knut
- 491-495 Famine and the two faces of entitlement: A comment on Sen
by Woldemeskel, Getachew
1990, Volume 18, Issue 2
- 165-181 Urbanization revisited: Inner-city slum of hope and squatter settlement of despair
by Eckstein, Susan
- 183-195 Land consolidation as land reform, in India
by Oldenburg, Philip
- 197-213 Postimperialism revisited: The Venezuelan wheat import controversy of 1986
by Stander, Henricus III & Becker, David G.
- 215-229 Industrialization and employment: Changes in the patterns of women's work in Puerto Rico
by Del Alba Acevedo, Luz
- 231-255 A comparative study of national price levels, agricultural prices and exchange rates
by Rao, D. S. Prasada & Shepherd, W. F. & Sharma, K. C.
- 257-267 Entrepreneurship and rural industrialization: Comparing urban and rural patterns of locational choice in Israel
by Bar-El, Raphael & Felsenstein, Daniel
- 269-280 Calculating the value of time spent collecting water: Some estimates for Ukunda, Kenya
by Whittington, Dale & Mu, Xinming & Roche, Robert
- 281-299 Evaluating demand for calories for urban and rural populations in the Philippines: Implications for nutrition policy under economic recovery
by Bouis, Howarth E.
- 301-311 Applying chapter 9 insolvency to international debts: An economically efficient solution with a human face
by Raffer, Kunibert
- 313-324 The effect of exchange rate variability on trade: The case of the West African Monetary Union's imports
by Medhora, Rohinton
- 325-332 Unorganized loan markets and monetary policy instruments
by Shahin, Wassim N.
- 333-346 The catalyst model of development: Lessons from Bangladesh's success with garment exports
by Rhee, Yung Whee
1990, Volume 18, Issue 1
- 1-18 Capital flight from Latin America
by Pastor, Manuel Jr.
- 19-27 Private investment and economic growth in developing countries
by Khan, Mohsin S. & Reinhart, Carmen M.
- 29-48 Purchasing power parities and Phase IV of the International Comparison Project: Do they lead to "real" estimates of GDP and its components?
by Lancieri, Elio
- 49-60 Implementing economic policy reforms: Policies and opportunities for donors
by White, Louise G.
- 61-75 Decentralization in Nepal
by Bienen, Henry & Kapur, Devesh & Parks, James & Riedinger, Jeffrey
- 77-89 A comparative analysis of the use of information inputs in the manufacturing sectors of Korea and Japan
by Engelbrecht, Hans-Jurgen
- 91-107 Overcoming technological dependency: The case of Electric Arc (Jamaica) Ltd., a small firm in a small developing country
by Girvan, Norman P. & Marcelle, Gillian
- 109-123 Flexible specialization and small size: The case of Caribbean tourism
by Poon, Auliana
- 125-135 The size of the informal sector in Peru: A critical comment on Hernando de Soto's El Otro Sendero
by Rossini, R. G. & Thomas, J. J.
- 147-153 Village communities, cooperation, and inequality in Tanzania: Comments on Collier et al
by Putterman, Louis
- 155-161 Book notes
by Gran, Guy
1989, Volume 17, Issue 12
- 1861-1870 Editors' introduction: Modelling and measuring parallel markets in developing countries
by Jones, Christine & Roemer, Michael
- 1871-1880 Parallel, fragmented, or black? Defining market structure in developing economies
by Lindauer, David L.
- 1881-1893 Markets under price controls in partial and general equilibrium
by Devarajan, Shantayanan & Jones, Christine & Roemer, Michael
- 1895-1906 Official and parallel cereals markets in Senegal: Empirical evidence
by Morris, Michael L. & Newman, Mark D.
- 1907-1919 Empirical regularities in black markets for currency
by Patton Culbertson, W.
- 1921-1930 General equilibrium with parallel markets for goods and foreign exchange: Theory and application to Ghana
by Azam, Jean-Paul & Besley, Timothy
- 1931-1944 A theory of risk, smuggling and welfare
by Sheikh, Munir A.
- 1945-1954 Price controls and rent-seeking behavior in developing countries
by Deacon, Robert T. & Sonstelie, Jon
- 1955-1963 Black markets: Illegality, information, and rents
by Bevan, David & Collier, Paul & Willem Gunning, Jan
- 1965-1978 The parallel market of illegal aliens: A computational approach
by Nguyen, Trient T.
1989, Volume 17, Issue 11
- 1665-1675 Technology in a world of national frontiers
by Dore, Ronald
- 1677-1708 Cash crops in developing countries: The issues, the facts, the policies
by Maxwell, Simon & Fernando, Adrian
- 1709-1715 The impact of foreign capital inflows on domestic savings reexamined: The case of Argentina
by Morisset, Jacques
- 1717-1722 An overview of water resources planning in West Africa
by Gould, Michael S. & Zobrist, Frederick A.
- 1723-1731 Opportunities and risks for private voluntary organizations as agents of LDC policy change
by Vansant, Jerry
- 1733-1750 The fruits and fallacies of neoliberalism: The case of irrigation policy
by Moore, Mick
- 1751-1768 Going beyond clones in Brazil and Korea: A comparative analysis of NIC strategies in the computer industry
by Evans, Peter B. & Tigre, Paulo Bastos
- 1769-1776 US multinationals in Latin American service industries
by Blomstrom, Magnus & Lipsey, Robert E.
- 1777-1797 Dilemmas of export diversification in a developing economy: Mexican oil in the 1980s
by Szekely, Gabriel
- 1799-1825 Gender planning in the third world: Meeting practical and strategic gender needs
by Moser, Caroline O. N.
- 1827-1839 The economics of smallholder agroforestry: Two case studies
by Hosier, Richard H.
- 1841-1852 Forms of business organization and rural enterprise development: Some examples from Anglophone Africa
by Zesch, Scott K.
- 1853-1859 Book notes
by Gran, Guy
1989, Volume 17, Issue 10
- 1499-1521 The simple analytics of contraceptive social marketing
by Behrman, Jere R.
- 1523-1530 The irrelevance of economic liberalization in the Third World
by Hamilton, Clive
- 1531-1541 Beyond coordination and control: An interorganizational approach to structural adjustment, service delivery, and natural resource management
by Honadle, George & Cooper, Lauren
- 1543-1552 On the economic analysis of the urban informal sector
by Hemmer, Hans-R. & Mannel, C.
- 1553-1571 Agriculture, rural people, the state and the surplus in some Asian countries: Thoughts on some implications of three recent approaches in social science
by Lipton, Michael
- 1573-1584 Recent trends in LDC military expenditures
by Porter, Richard C.
- 1585-1596 Bread and butter issues in Ecuadorian food policy: A comparative advantage approach
by Byerlee, Derek
- 1597-1600 Graduation in the generalized system of preferences: The projected impact on remaining beneficiaries in the United States scheme
by Kirkman, Kimberly E.
- 1601-1617 Determinants of industrial structure: A Brazilian case study
by Willmore, Larry
- 1619-1625 The determinants of import demand in Pakistan
by Sarmad, Khwaja
- 1627-1646 Sugar and structural change in the Cuban economy
by Perez-Lopez, Jorge F.
- 1647-1659 The training and visit agricultural extension in rainfed agriculture: Lessons from Ethiopia
by Dejene, Alemneh
- 1661-1664 Some thoughts on the Brady plan: Putting a fourth leg on the donkey?
by Buiter, Willem & Kletzer, Kenneth & Srinivasan, T. N.
1989, Volume 17, Issue 9
- 1317-1318 Editors' introduction
by Adelman, Irma & Thorbecke, Erik
- 1319-1332 Institutions and economic growth: An historical introduction
by North, Douglass C.
- 1333-1347 The New Institutional Economics and its applicability to development
by Nabli, Mustapha K. & Nugent, Jeffrey B.
- 1349-1359 Global institutions for an interdependent world
by Streeten, Paul P.
- 1361-1373 Organizational economics and institutions as missing elements in economic development analysis
by Leibenstein, Harvey
- 1375-1387 Institutional innovation and agricultural development
by Ruttan, Vernon W.
- 1389-1395 The new institutional economics and development theory: A brief critical assessment
by Bardhan, Pranab
- 1397-1407 A study in resistance to institutional change: The lost game of Latin American land reform
by de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth
- 1409-1415 Models of modern-sector labor market institutions in developing countries
by Svejnar, Jans
- 1417-1432 Nineteenth-century development experience and lessons for today
by Morris, Cynthia Taft & Adelman, Irma
- 1433-1442 National values and economic reforms in socialist economies
by Montias, John Michael
- 1443-1453 The role of institutions in transition growth: The East Asian newly industrializing countries
by Ranis, Gustav
- 1455-1469 Import substitution and late industrialization: Latin America and Asia compared
by Felix, David
- 1471-1483 Wage-setting institutions and economic growth
by Fields, Gary S. & Wan, Henry Jr.
- 1485-1498 Institutions, policies and agricultural performance: A comparative analysis
by Thorbecke, Erik & Morrisson, Christian
1989, Volume 17, Issue 8
- 1145-1157 Taxation in Papua New Guinea: Backwards to the future?
by Bird, Richard M.
- 1159-1172 The woodfuel crisis reconsidered: Observations on the dynamics of abundance and scarcity
by Dewees, Peter A.
- 1173-1201 Farm-nonfarm linkages in rural sub-Saharan Africa
by Haggblade, Steven & Hazell, Peter & Brown, James
- 1203-1221 Investment strategies to combat rural poverty: A proposal for Latin America
by de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth
- 1223-1233 Land-contingent poverty alleviation schemes
by Ravallion, Martin
- 1235-1254 Indonesian agricultural development in comparative perspective
by Booth, Anne
- 1255-1267 Agrarian reform in the Dominican Republic: An associative solution to the collective/individual dilemma
by Meyer, Carrie A.
- 1269-1277 Urbanization and international trade in developing countries
by Petrakos, George
- 1279-1287 Intraindustry specialization in production and trade in newly industrializing countries: A conceptual framework and some empirical evidence from East Asia
by Gunasekera, H. Don B. H.
- 1289-1297 Private finance companies in LDCs: Lessons from an experiment
by Hamid, Naved & Nabi, Ijaz
- 1299-1312 Transferable discharge permit systems and environmental management in developing countries
by Lyon, Randolph M.
- 1313-1316 The World Bank: Human face or facelift? Some comments in the light of the World Bank's annual report
by Singer, H. W.
1989, Volume 17, Issue 7
- 933-935 Foreword
by Gerhart, John D.
- 937-952 Introduction: Toward a wider perspective on women's employment
by Grown, Caren A. & Sebstad, Jennefer
- 953-963 How poor women earn income in sub-Saharan Africa and what works against them
by Jiggins, Janice
- 965-977 Women's lives and livelihoods: A view from the Commonwealth Caribbean
by Massiah, Joycelin
- 979-991 Homes divided
by Bruce, Judith
- 993-1006 Microlevel strategies for supporting livelihoods, employment, and income generation of poor women in the third world: The challenge of significance
by McKee, Katharine
- 1007-1016 A sectoral approach to promoting women's work: Lessons from India
by Chen, Marty
- 1017-1032 Giving women credit: The strengths and limitations of credit as a tool for alleviating poverty
by Berger, Marguerite
- 1033-1044 What ever happened to poverty alleviation?
by Tendler, Judith
- 1045-1057 Investing in poor women: The psychology of donor support
by Buvinic, Mayra
- 1059-1065 Toward empowerment
by Bhatt, Ela
- 1067-1076 Policies for a heterogeneous informal sector in Latin America
by Tokman, Victor E.
- 1077-1095 Global feminization through flexible labor
by Standing, Guy
- 1097-1107 Policies affecting women's employment in the formal sector: Strategies for change
by Ibrahim, Barbara
- 1109-1123 Asian women wage-earners: Their situation and possibilities for donor intervention
by Heyzer, Noeleen
1989, Volume 17, Issue 6
- 769-781 Food and freedom
by Sen, Amartya
- 783-794 The rise, fall, and transformation of overseas construction contracting
by Strassmann, W. Paul
- 795-807 The macroeconomics of counterpart funds revisited
by Roemer, Michael
- 809-823 Taxing agriculture: Instruments and incidence
by Mohan Rao, J.
- 825-837 Apartheid: Cui bono?
by Lundahl, Mats
- 839-860 Agricultural policy and performance in Iran: The post-revolutionary experience
by Mojtahed, Ahmad & Esfahani, Hadi S.
- 861-865 Measurement of trade concentration under the United States' Caribbean Basin Initiative
by Clark, Don P.
- 867-877 Property relations and economic development: The other land reform
by Bromley, Daniel W.
- 879-895 Cash crops, food crops, and sustainability: The case of Indonesia
by Barbier, Edward B.
- 897-903 Growth of manufactured exports, primary commodity dependence, and net export earnings: Sri Lanka
by Athukorala, Premachandra & Bandara, Jayatilleke S.
- 905-922 Modeling internal colonialism: History and prospect
by Love, Joseph L.
1989, Volume 17, Issue 5
- 597-599 Editor's introduction
by Christiansen, Robert E.
- 601-615 Privatization in developing countries: a review of the issues
by van de Walle, Nicolas
- 617-632 The political economy of privatization in developing countries
by Bienen, Henry & Waterbury, John
- 633-641 Privatization: Not the only answer
by Vernon-Wortzel, Heidi & Wortzel, Lawrence H.
- 643-657 Privatization in the United Kingdom: Lessons from experience
by Bishop, Matthew R. & Kay, John A.
- 659-672 Public enterprise reform: Privatization and the World Bank
by Nellis, John & Kikeri, Sunita
- 673-682 Privatization in rent-seeking societies
by Glade, William
- 683-702 The (rip) tide of privatization: Lessons from Chile
by Yotopoulos, Pan A.
- 703-718 Cereals market liberalization in Mali
by Staatz, John M. & Dione, Josue & Dembele, N. Nango
- 719-728 The liberalization of rice marketing in Madagascar
by Berg, Elliot
- 729-740 The privatization of agricultural trading in Malawi
by Christiansen, Robert E. & Stackhouse, Lee Ann
- 741-756 Malaysia: Genesis of a privatization transaction
by Leeds, Roger S.
- 757-767 The fiscal impact of privatization, with some examples from Arab countries
by Heller, Peter S. & Schiller, Christian
1989, Volume 17, Issue 4
- 447-459 Incentive myopia
by Klitgaard, Robert
- 461-471 Economic growth and social development: A longitudinal analysis of causal priority
by Newman, Barbara A. & Thomson, Randall J.
- 473-490 Toward a growth-oriented model of financial programming
by Chand, Sheetal K.
- 491-502 Economic stabilization and structural transformation: Lessons from the Chilean experience, 1973-87
by Moran, Cristian
- 503-511 The genesis and spread of economic corruption: A microtheoretic interpretation
by Dey, Harendra Kanti
- 513-524 Relative earnings mobility in a third world country
by Randolph, Susan & Trzcinski, Eileen
- 525-542 Infrastructure pricing policies and the public revenue in African countries
by Anderson, Dennis
- 543-560 Agriculture in an export boom economy: A comparative analysis of policy and performance in Indonesia, Mexico and Nigeria
by Scherr, Sara J.
- 561-568 The allocation of aid among developing countries: A multi-donor analysis using a per capita aid index
by McGillivray, Mark
- 569-587 The politics of government-NGO relations in Africa
by Bratton, Michael
- 589-590 Impact of agricultural research and extension on crop productivity in Pakistan: A comment
by Zahid, Shahid N. & Mujahid-Mukhtar, Eshya
1989, Volume 17, Issue 3
- 305-328 Politics of economic liberalization in India
by Kohli, Atul
- 329-342 Trees as savings and security for the rural poor
by Chambers, Robert & Leach, Melissa
- 343-350 Impact of the responsibility system on women in rural China: An application of Sen's theory of entitlements
by Aslanbeigui, Nahid & Summerfield, Gale
- 351-355 A theoretical analysis of the informal sector
by Chaudhuri, Tamal Datta
- 357-363 Effective costs of rural loans in Bangladesh
by Ahmed, Zia U.
- 365-377 The environmental consequences of Latin America's agricultural development: Some thoughts on the Brundtland Commission report
by Redclift, Michael
- 379-396 Industrial development policy in South Africa -- the past, present and future
by Geyer, Hermanus S.
- 397-408 Policies in transition: Lessons from Madagascar
by Shuttleworth, Graham
- 409-419 An appraisal of wheat market policy in Pakistan
by Cornelisse, Peter A. & Naqvi, Syed Nawab Haider
- 421-429 Bilateral trade flows and economic integration in Latin America and the Caribbean
by Thoumi, Francisco E.
- 431-438 The organization and management of statistical services in Africa: Why do they fail?
by Eele, Graham
1989, Volume 17, Issue 2
- 165-178 Participation in development: New avenues
by Goulet, Denis
- 179-191 Ten theses on social movements
by Fuentes, Marta & Frank, Andre Gunder
- 193-197 Lewis and Ricardo: A reinterpretation
by Grabowski, Richard & Shields, Michael P.
- 199-212 A cross-country input-output analysis of intersectoral relationships between manufacturing and services and their employment implications
by Park, Se-Hark & Chan, Kenneth S.
- 213-221 On measuring the shadow price of uncommitted fiscal resources in Africa
by Gray, Clive
- 223-235 On the causes of food insecurity in less developed countries: An empirical evaluation
by Diakosavvas, Dimitris
- 237-253 The economic costs of food self-sufficiency in China
by Yang, Yongzheng & Tyers, Rodney
- 255-266 Homework and industrial development: Gender roles and restructuring in the Spanish shoe industry
by Benton, Lauren A.
- 267-273 The comparative homogeneity of the East Asian NIC exports of similar manufactures
by Kellman, Mitchell & Chow, Peter C. Y.
- 275-292 Bauxite processing in Jamaica and Guyana: An estimate of income and foreign exchange impacts
by McCoy, James P.
- 293-298 Interests, ideology and institutions: A review of Bhagwati on protectionism
by Streeten, Paul
- 299-303 Book notes
by Gran, Guy
1989, Volume 17, Issue 1
- 1-16 Breeding innovation clusters: A source of dynamic development
by Debresson, Chris
- 17-27 Testing the food-first hypothesis: A cross-national study of dependency, sectoral growth and food intake in less developed countries
by Cheng, Wei-Yuan
- 29-43 Debt sustainability and overadjustment
by de Pinies, Jaime
- 45-57 Potential sources of productivity growth within Chinese industry
by Jefferson, Gary H.
- 59-67 Tourism development in LDCs: Hotel capacity expansion with reference to Barbados
by Carey, Kathleen
- 69-83 Macroeconomic consequences of the size of third world nations: With special reference to the Caribbean
by Looney, Robert E.
- 85-91 Referral systems and health care seeking behavior of patients: An economic analysis
by Mwabu, Germano M.
- 93-108 Neoliberal economic policies and infant and child mortality: Simulation analysis of a Chilean paradox
by Hojman, David E.
- 109-138 Toward a theory of the international division of industrial labor
by Kiljunen, Kimmo
- 139-155 The changing structure of petty production in Ecuador
by Middleton, Alan
- 157-159 On helping small enterprises in developing countries
by Pradhan, Rajesh K.
1988, Volume 16, Issue 12
- 1399-1418 The notorious nine: Critical problems in project implementation
by Gow, David D. & Morss, Elliott R.
- 1419-1439 Foreign exchange regimes and industrial growth in Bangladesh
by Stern, Joseph J. & Mallon, Richard D. & Hutcheson, Thomas L.
- 1441-1454 On the potential for expanding South-South trade through the extension of mutual preferences among developing countries
by Erzan, Refik & Laird, Samuel & Yeats, Alexander
- 1455-1463 The metamorphosis of development economics
by Theofanides, Stavros